NEURALLY MEDIATED HYPOTENSION

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meditationlotus, Mar 30, 2006.

1. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

Does anyone here have this condition? I have been diagnosed with it by way of a tilt table test. The beta-blockers, etc. they gave me for it made me feel worse.

Midodrine helped some, but it is way too expensive. I do not have insurance, and the pharmaceutical company did away with their "patient assistance program". The cost is between $160 and $320 per month.

I feel that if I could correct this problem, my health would greatly improve.

I take licorice. Drink lots of liquids and get lots of salt.

Anyone know of any good herbs? What about Sheperd's Purse which is supposed to constrict blood vessels.

Thanks to anyone who can advise me.
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I'm surprised they gave you beta blockers; they usually lower BP. Mine is not as severe as some. I take Adrenal Supplements along with salt and water. Licorice can help too.

Kathy.
  3. meditationlotus

What adrenal supplements do you take?

Mine is a constant problem and support hose are very uncomfortable and immposible in the hot weather.

Thanks.
  4. atpeace

atpeace New Member

I have it too, but I don't take anything for it.

I know lots of people are pleased with the results of betablockers. My dad takes a bb for his NMH. I don't feel my problem is frequent enough to warrant medication -- tho I tend to re-think that stance when I'm in the middle of an episode! ;)

I've searched for info about good supplements for NMH/faiting, but haven't had much luck. I'd be very interested to know of something natural that could help, so thanks for asking this question!!!

Lori

5. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

The first medicine I was put on for this was Florinef and potassium. Have you tried this?
  6. FoggyDayz

FoggyDayz New Member

I had a tilt table test 3 years ago and my BP dropped to 60/30 in 8 minutes. I am on Cymbalta, Florinef, birth control pills (supposedly they help), and I take salt tablets when the weather is warmer or if I am having more dizzy spells.

Beta-blockers is the docs next step if the Florinef doesn't work.

I will have to try licorice too.

Not much help here, but yes I have it too.
    Foggydayz

7. meditationlotus

but it didn't seem to help any better than licorice. The beta-blockers made me feel worse. Salt helps, but even then I can't tolerate being on my feet more than about five minutes, and that is in the late afternoon and evening. Mornings being on my feet at all is practically impossible.

I take lots of salt and water. The midodrine helped more than anything. I can't believe the company cancelled its "patient assistance program." Where is the compassion? I guess I'm just supposed to fall through the cracks.

What is Cymbalta? Does it help NMH. I will look it up on the internet.

Thanks.
  8. meditationlotus

9. meditationlotus

10. meditationlotus

11. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I 'm sorry I just found this again! I have read since then that beta blockers are helpful since they increase the fill tome of the heart.

As for my Adrenal supplements, they are from AOR, which is a Canadian co. It is adrenal extract plus licorice, ashwaganda, ginseng, rhodiola, Vit.C and Pantethine. I find that it really does help.

The book I have listing fairly up to date treatments doesn't mention anything more than has been suggested here.I think we have to adapt our life style to it!

Kathy.