NEURALLY MEDIATED HYPOTENSION

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meditationlotus, May 22, 2006.

1. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

Has anyone had success using L-Tyrosine for Neurally Mediated Hypotension? I think that it is supposed to help increase norepinephrine or epinephrine which helps blood vessels to constrict.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

is a bump...

3. meditationlotus

4. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

It has 39mg of L-tyrosine. I don't know how much a person should take for mediated hypotension. I have borderline hypertension and the L-tyrosine doesn't seem to amke any difference. I'll see what I can find out for you.

God Bless.
  5. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I think I found it on From Fatigued to Fantastic.

Which brings me to the second exciting piece of medical information. Researchers at the Johns Hopkins University have published reports in Lancet and more recently, JAMA, suggesting that patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome can be helped by increasing salt in their bloodstream. More specifically, these patients (admittedly a small number so far) were found to have something called Neurally Mediated Postural Hypotension, which means that their blood pressure dropped down when they stood up, exercised, or with other activities that normally require the prompt reaction of the neurologic and adrenal systems to maintain blood pressure. When these patients were given higher amounts of sodium chloride and/or aldosterone (the adrenal hormone which keeps sodium in the body) they experienced less fatigue and brain fogginess (some patients were given other medications to increase blood pressure as well).

These studies are important for a number of reasons. Firstly, of course, is the possibility that this group of patients can finally be treated with a therapy that seems to have significantly positive effects. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome has only recently been accepted in the medical community as a diagnosis, and is still widely treated as a psychiatric disorder by physicians unaware of its prevalence and symptomatology.

Secondly is the support for the natural medicine concept of endocrine "exhaustion." Much of the research on CFS has focused on hunting for "The Virus", an infectious disease model more suitable to Pasteur and Ehrlich's "Magic Bullets" and Jonas Salk's search for a polio vaccine. However, many complementary medicine physicians, and other alternative providers, have treated CFS as a problem of coordination and depletion of the thyroid, adrenal, and other hormones, including neurotransmitters like seratonin. Thyroid support in the form of prescription or nutritional supplements like kelp and L-tyrosine have been helpful, as well as adrenal cortical extract, nutrients like vitamin C and pantothenic acid and herbs like ginseng and licorice which help the adrenal. Some physicians have given DHEA, an adrenal hormone (actually, the most prevalent hormone in the body) which is low in some CFS patients and is thought to relate to "reserves" of corticosteroid hormones. Some have suggest a topical preparation of wild yam, which contains natural forms of steroid hormones. Some have augmented the patient's seratonin by using the newer SSRI drugs (mislabeled "anti-depressants") like Prozac and Zoloft, [and herbs like St. John's Wort and Valerian. ] Some patients have even been helped by low doses of natural hydrocortisone, to assist their body's own production.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I hope it helps.

God Bless.
  6. meditationlotus

Lots of good info. The medication that has helped me most with NMH is very expensive - about $2.00 per pill, and I need at least 1 1/2 to 2 per day. So just trying to find other alternatives. The medicine is called Midodrine. I took a pill last night and I was like a different person, more enery, blood in my head - can't believe how much better that makes me feel. And able to do dishes and mop the floor without the weakness, dizzyness and fatigue that normally comes from being in a vertical position.

thanks and love