Neuro lymes and doxy???

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by singlaurie, Aug 5, 2008.

1. singlaurie

singlaurie New Member

Has any one here had luck with just oral doxy for their neuro lymes? I have been on it for a couple months 200 mg a day. with one treatment for babesia before I started it with zithro and mepron for 10 days then back on doxy then had retested for the babesia 1 month later and came back still active so did another treatment of the zithro and mepron for 14 days now have to test again in 45 days so in the mean time back on the doxy. I think it does make me herx becouse I have some days that are just awful and some to where I have some of my foggy feeling lift and my other symtoms are a bit better and did not have that before the treatment. I am scared of the IV, so I hope oral meds will work.
  2. munch1958

munch1958 Member

One could stay on Doxy and wait for their spirochetes to die of old age or go for more agressive treatment options. It depends on how much time you want to devote to waiting for the oral to work.

After 2 years of oral, 9 months of heparin for hypercoagulation, Anti-Fungals and tons of B-HRT, my infections and symptoms are still hanging on but I've had this crud for more than 27 years.

I'm going to switch to IM Abx to avoid the risk of sepsis from a central line. I too am getting impatient and wish to have a life. I've never really known what it was like to feel "good" other than a few brief months here and there. Those times are too far and too few between.
  3. singlaurie

singlaurie New Member

What is IM abx?
  4. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

They are intramuscular injections, Im on them right now.
    Sandie
  5. Daisys

Daisys Member

IM abx--does your doctor train you to give yourself a shot everyday? IVabx has just been mentioned for me, and I really don't want to do that. It seems too many get infections from that.
  6. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

I love my injectables, I know it sounds weird but, there are no side effects from them, except mabey a sore rear end.(LOL) No yeast infections or stomach upset and I only take it once a week. Im in the medical field and the nurses give them to me. Its a breeze. Sandie
  7. Daisys

Daisys Member

Sandie,
    That sounds like the best way to go. I'm going to bring it up to my LLMD next appt. I wonder what the insurance companies think of this?

8. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

It depends on what insurance company you have. I have cigna
    and there are useless. They refused to pay for mine B/C they say they are still experimental, so I pay out of pocket. They are about 50.00 per shot, so 200.00 per month.
    But, well worth it. Sandie
  9. Daisys

Daisys Member

Sandie,
    Since we are spending most of our disposable income on my health, $200.00 is not shocking me.

We have really good insurance, so it would be nice to have it covered, but I won't hold my breath.

The worst thing is my next appt is 6 weeks away! And patience is NOT my middle name!

I'd be very willing to stick myself in the hiney to save my digestive/immune system. I think it would be easiest to place it gently where it's to go in, and then push. None of that kamakazi looking stuff for me. See, I'm already picturing it, I'm so ready for it.
  10. Daisys

Daisys Member

Moving this thread up to the top
  11. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

What Abx are you taking IM, and do you think it's helping?

Froggy
  12. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

I take Bicillin Injections, it is well worth it to me.

I have a hard time tolerating oral meds,they cause me nausea, and yeast infections. My LLMD likes the Bicillin,
    but there are other choices. In my case, they are well worth it. Good luck, Sandie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2008]
  13. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

Did you ever try the injections? Sandie
  14. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I had a pricription for bicillin injectables, I had to give myself shots twice week. And the needle that comes with the bicillin is huge, it hurts pretty bad! It's a little difficult to give yourself a shot in the rear!

Kellyann