Neuro-PS aka Phosphatidylserine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by u&iraok, Aug 19, 2010.

1. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Anyone try this? I was hoping I was better (but then I'm always hoping that) because I was feeling good for a while. Haven't had the bad fatigue and muscle aches come back (flu-ish stuff, sore throats and swollen lymph nodes have been gone for a while) but the neurological symptoms are hitting me hard. Headaches, hurts to think, every noise loud. Can't read much, have to keep the tv on low and use subtitles. I don't know if I overdid it because I felt well or if it's a detox, but ugh. Using my brain too much here, as well, I think. But how do you stop using your brain? Sheesh.

I'm taking a greens drink with grapeseed but I bought some more to take separately as well as the neuro-ps. Here's some info on it:

"Phosphatidylserine – The Most Abundant Phospholipid in the Human Brain

Phosphatidylserine has been studied for about 50 years and has an outstanding track record in both human and animal studies for supporting healthy cognitive function. Results consistently demonstrate improvements in attention and arousal, verbal fluency, and memory in aging people with mental deterioration.

Phosphatidylserine, like its fellow phospholipids, is believed to work by strengthening cell membranes, thus protecting them and their contents from damage -- particularly from the stress hormone cortisol – and improving the ability of cells to communicate with other cells.

Considered to be the “master switch” of cell membrane functions, phosphatidylserine is located primarily in the inner-most area of a cell's membrane, and is responsible for directing neurons in communicating more effectively, and activating key enzymes involved in the cell communication process.

Phosphatidylserine also appears to restore the release of important neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine, norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine. Production of these neurotransmitters slows down as we age, leading to decline in cognitive functioning. Phosphatidylserine has been shown to increase the levels of these neurotransmitters in the brain in patients experiencing cognitive decline and related symptoms."

2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, u&iraok.

I just want to note that phosphatidylserine complex is one of the components in the simplified treatment approach for lifting the partial methylation cycle block. The complete protocol is pasted below.

This supplement is included in the simplified protocol for the reasons you mentioned, and also because in CFS there is a condition of high oxidative stress, and the phospholipid membranes of the mitochondria are the most vulnerable parts of the cell to this oxidative stress. This supplement is therefore used to repair the membranes.

In addition, the phosphatidylcholine that is part of this complex can be used to produce betaine (trimethylglycine) in the body, and this stimulates the alternate methylation pathway, the BHMT or betaine homocysteine methyltransferase pathway.

I should also note that some people with CFS have been reluctant to use phosphatidylcholine because it can cause a lowering of the cortisol level, initially, and many people with CFS already have low cortisol because of the HPA axis dysfunction in CFS. However, in the long run, I think the benefits you mentioned as well as these others, will accrue.

If you would like to read about the basis for this protocol, it can be found at

Best regards,

April 18, 2009

(Extracted from the full treatment program
    developed by Amy Yasko, Ph.D., N.D.
    which is used primarily in treating autism [1])

1. FolaPro [2]: ¼ tablet (200mcg) daily
    2. Actifolate [3]: ¼ tablet daily
    3. General Vitamin Neurological Health Formula [4]: start with ¼ tablet and work up dosage as tolerated to 2 tablets daily
    4. Phosphatidyl Serine Complex [5]: 1 softgel capsule daily
    5. Activated B12 Guard [6]: 1 sublingual lozenge daily

All these supplements can be obtained from, or all but the third one can be obtained from other sources.
    The first two supplement tablets are difficult to break into quarters. We recommend that you obtain (from any pharmacy) a good-quality pill splitter to assist with this process. They can, alternatively, be crushed into powders, which are then separated on a flat surface using a knife or single-edged razor blade, and the powders can be mixed together. They can be taken orally with water, with or without food.
    These supplements can make some patients sleepy, so in those cases they take them at bedtime. They can be taken at any time of day, with or without food.
    GO SLOWLY. As the methylation cycle block is lifted, toxins are released and processed by the body, and this can lead to an exacerbation of symptoms. IF THIS HAPPENS, try smaller doses, every other day. SLOWLY work up to the full dosages.
    Although this treatment approach consists only of nonprescription nutritional supplements, a few patients have reported adverse effects while on it. Therefore, it is necessary that patients be supervised by physicians while receiving this treatment.

[1] Yasko, Amy, and Gordon, Garry, The Puzzle of Autism, Matrix Development Publishing, Payson, AZ, 2006, p. 49.
    [2] FolaPro is a registered trademark of Metagenics, Inc.
    [3] Actifolate is a registered trademark of Metagenics, Inc.
    [4] General Vitamin Neurological Health Formula is formulated and supplied by Holistic Health Consultants LLC.
    [5] Phosphatidyl Serine Complex is a product of Vitamin Discount Center.
    [6] Activated B12 Guard is a registered trademark of Perque LLC.

3. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

for the good information, Rich. I'm thinking of trying this. I'm already taking folapro and B-12 and now the neuro-ps.

Can I ask a few q's? Why both Folapro AND Actifolate? And I saw that Dr. Cheney recommended the hydroxocobalamin form of B-12 and not cyanocobalamin for one reason because of the cyanide. I've got the methylcobalamin form--is hydroxocobalamin recommended above methylcobalamin? If so, why?