NEUROBorreliosis excellent new article... and other stuff

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by victoria, Feb 28, 2008.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Nofool posted this first on the other board, I'd just read it thru the yahoo list group LymeInfo - it would be an excellent article to take to your disbelieving but possibly open doctors.... plus some other info:

Journal of Neuropsychiatry & Clinical Neurosciences 20:0iv-6, February 2008

Windows to the Brain - Acute and Chronic Lyme Disease: Controversies for Neuropsychiatry
    Robin A. Hurley, M.D. and Katherine H. Taber, Ph.D.

There is SO MUCH good info in here, it wouuld be hard for me to excerpt it meaningfully. I am printing it out to give to my son's SSI lawyer. You can find the full text at: http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/20/1/iv?ct=ct or:
    http://dx.doi.org/10.1176/appi.neuropsych.20.1.iv

-----------------
    And, listed at canlyme.com:
    research from Columbia University:

http://www.columbia-lyme.org/flatp/lymeoverview.html#adult-psych

Mood Lability: spontaneous swings of mood; spontaneous tearfulness. At times, patients with these symptoms may appear to have a Bipolar II disorder.

Irritability: an inability to tolerate normal frustrations, with quick bursts of anger. Patients may seem to have undergone a personality change in that previously mild-mannered individuals may now become quite difficult.

Panic attacks: tachycardia, flushing, chest pain, , numbness and tingling, shortness of breath, choking feeling with the sensation of loss of control and/or of fear of death. Needs to be distinguished from tachyarrhythmias. Panic attacks unrelated to Lyme disease are usually 10-20 minutes in duration. Lyme-related panic attacks may last for an hour or more.

* Less commonly: manic or psychotic episodes (during encephalitic phase), paranoia, tics, obsessive/compulsive symptoms (may trigger a milder pre-existing condition or bring on symptoms de novo)
    ------------

USA Today article in July, 2005:
    ORLANDO — When his grades slipped during spring semester, coupled by erratic behavior, quarterback Wyatt Sexton was asked by Florida State football officials to submit to a drug test.
    When he refused to take one, according to Seminoles' coach Bobby Bowden, he was suspended for summer workouts. Two weeks later, on June 13, Sexton was forcibly hospitalized, after a bizarre incident, now believed related to a subsequent diagnosis of Lyme disease.

"I guess you all (media) have always wondered why (suspension). It was a simple as that," said Bowden, clarifiying the issue for the first time Saturday during the annual Florida Sportwriters Association media days at the Caribe Royale Resort. "He just didn't show up for a drug test. The Lyme disease I'm sure triggered the whole thing."

Sexton, a fourth-year junior, who figured to be the Seminoles' starting quarterback for the season-opener Sept. 5 against Miami, is sitting out the season on a medical hardship, while recovering from the disease.

In his most revealing comments on the matter, Bowden said Saturday he visited Sexton for the first time Friday at his parents' home. Sexton's father, Billy Sexton, is a 29-year assistant on Bowden staff. He's been the Seminoles' running backs coach since 1983.

"He looked like a guy who had just got up from a nap and can't wait to get back (to sleep)," said Bowden... Bowden (also) said Sexton is now on a strict diet that mirrors what someone with diabetes might require.

As his roommates slept in mid-afternoon (that June afternoon), Sexton was shirtless, barefoot and acting irrationally in the street. When police arrived, he claimed to be a "Son of God." When he made a lunge toward a police officer, he was doused with pepper spray, handcuffed and taken to a Tallahassee hospital. He was admitted under Florida's Baker-Marchman Act, which gives police the ability to forcibly transport someone for mental and drug testing when they are considered a danger to themselves.

While Sexton was hospitalized, Bowden said that Billy Sexton received two telephone calls from Tallahassee residents, who suspected the quarterback had Lyme disease. The residents told Billy Sexton the same irrational behavior, the same "son of God" reference was used by their own sons.

On July 2, that diagnosis was confirmed.

In extreme cases, the disease has been known to cause severe neurological effects.

"He's a guy that's a straight-A student; all of a sudden he's making "I"s (incompletes)," Bowden said. "Something strange is happening ...
    ----------------

Sexton underwent treatment via IV abx with Dr. Swami, in Pennsylvanie after doctors in florida couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. while he was able to return to school part time in the fall and was talking about the possibility of trying out again for the team in the spring, he realized he could not do it physically and concentrated on his health and his classes.

I took a lot of personal interest in this story, as this was came out in the press right after we found out our son at 17 had lyme, one of the few to get all the bands required for CDC tracking. He also presented with neuro/psych symptoms before the physical occurred. Altho not to the extreme that Sexton and other have had, he was never able to complete a full semester load in HS, dropped completely out 2 out of 4 semesters, ultimately dropping out and getting his GED over a protracted period of time.

Almost 3 years post-beginning treatment, he physically is better and 'looks' healthy, but, as the first article (same as nofools post) states, the cognitive slowness and memory problems are still there, as well as the anxiety and depression...

I am hoping sine those were the first to appear (and be around for 3-4 years) they will eventually also disappear... and stay away....

all the best,
    Victoria
  2. highcotton

highcotton New Member

if your son has ever tried ritalin for his cognitive problems.

i find it to be mildly or not helpful on a bad day, but if i am having a better day, it seems to help me a great deal with concentration and persistence.