Neurofeedback

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NIELK, Apr 1, 2009.

1. NIELK

NIELK Member

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned neurofeedback as a remedy. I 've been suffering from ME/CFS for the past 7 years. I've been on ss disability for 5 years. I've been bed ridden at times. Have suffered from exhaustion, pain, sleeplessness, allergies, headaches etc. I've been on many meds & supplements. I started with neurofeedback a year ago and it's been the most successful remedy for me. They took an eeg brain map and have been able to pinpoint where my problem is and which brainwaves are overactive. They are working on teaching my brain to balance out those probleem areas. I've been able to get off some of my meds since working on neurofeedback and am feeling less pain, more energy and less depression. It makes sense to me for this to work, since the brain controls everything in our body and balancing the brain out is effective.
    Does anyone else have experience with this?
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

It's interesting that you mention this. I actually talked to someone about a month ago, bc from what I know about neurofeedback (a fair amt), and what I know about ME/CFS and FM, I was wondering if anyone had ever tried it for that reason. As far as I have been able to find out, no one else seems to have tried it before for ME or FM. I think that might have something to do with the reluctance of ME patients to try anything that might sound remotely like another "it's all in your head" remedy. I know that neurofeedback does not mean that, but it's hard to explain why. I do think it's really odd that I have never heard any medical or psychological professional recommend it, though.
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

i have read of other people who have used this system, not so much a cure but have heard it helped with sleep. I have heard of a few people being messed up by it, but from what i heard they were treated using this method for depression not fatigue insomnia, so i think it comes down to the practisioner. Its also very expensive, in australia its about $100 session and start to see results after 10 sessions, so maybe up to 20-30 in total. Alot of money for no guarantee. But sounds interesting, would like to know others experience to get a better judgement of it.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have seen several before and after brain scans of people using neurofeedback for various other issues, and the differences are amazing.....and when I saw them the person who was showing them to me was showing me as a counseling student (not as a potential client, so he wasn't just trying to make money off of me).
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I have seen research that shows good success with adhd kids. From what i understand its a process of slowing down and speeding certain parts of the brain. I think with cfs is where they have problems as most of us feel we have no energy but cant rest either - tired but wired. Like i said earlier, it would be nice to find a practisioner who has alot of experience with cfs/me, from what i can gather most have lots of experience with adhd, depression, anxiety.
  6. NIELK

NIELK Member

My neurofeedback practitioner doesn't claim that he can heal cfs, but he can reduce the symptoms. Which is what it has done for me. Not all syatmptoms. For example it can not help with allergy symptoms. But for me, the most exciting part is that I've been able to reduce the medications that I was on which were giving me bad side effects. I think that we don't hear so much about it, because most medical doctors know very little about it and there are no big pharmaceutical companies interested investing in research. Also, it sounds scary to some people. But, it's really very safe when done correctly. They did another mapping of my brain from a year ago and there is remarked improvement.
  7. NIELK

NIELK Member

for anyone interested in neurofeedback, www.centerforbrain.com is very informartive.
  8. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I also had a brain map done, and there definitely were areas that needed balancing out.
    Because I didn't get to the best clinician, I had alot of ups & downs, but it did help w/depression & fatigue.

Had to have someone drive me a distance to get sessions, so gradually stopped as traveling is a major trigger for me.

But I'm a huge believer that alot of our symptoms are caused by a brain chemistry disorder.

Glad you brought this to the board's attention.