NEURONTIN® vs LYRICA®??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by beachwalkerbill, Nov 22, 2006.

1. beachwalkerbill

beachwalkerbill New Member

NEURONTIN® vs LYRICA®
    Has anyone taken both? I have tried Lyrica and it at a low dose and it made me very drowsy. I don’t know weather to try Neurontin or not. Does anyone have a opinion on this? Lyrica is very expensive.
    Bill
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

...taken Lyrica and can say that the drowsy side effect does go away if you can put up with it for a few weeks. I am currently on Lyrica and have been for about 7 months and I am getting good results. Yes it is expensive but there are programs to help you pay for if you don't have insurance, I used one for the first 5 months I was on it and got it for free.

My MIL takes Neurontin and that works well for her. I am not sure I can tell you any differences though sorry.
  3. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

One of my doctors said it is basically the same thing. I take Neurontin and it makes me tired, so I cut it back and take it only at bedtime. It is cheaper, generic now so you might as well try that first?
    -Laura
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I don't get sleepy with it.It made the pain that was keeping me in bed bearable.It gave me part of my life back.Linda
  5. beachwalkerbill

beachwalkerbill New Member

I really can’t afford to be any fogger. I’ll loose my job!
    Thanks yall, this is the info I need.

[This Message was Edited on 11/22/2006]
  6. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

and since my first dose my pain has disappeared...I dont know if I was just lucky but can't think that it disappeared on its own..my pain has been getting worse for about 5 weeks now..and if the med is working then to me its a miracle...nothing to lose but to try it.
  7. NICUnurseang

NICUnurseang New Member

Lyrica & neurontin are a form of a chemical made in the body, only Lyrica is the form that is made & metabolized earlier and faster. A lot of people have a better luck with it than neurontin. it has been found to be effective in a lot of people with nerve pain, mine included, although after while I developed a tolerance and switched to topamax. A major side effect of them both are that they can cause weight gain (topamax can cause weight loss), although both can help you sleep at night. Definately start taking it only at night because it made me really dizzy at first until I got used to it and then gradually increase your dose to several times a day and bigger doses. Hope it helps !
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Bill:

All I can say is that Nuerotin made me worse. Certainly not the experience of all people, those who it has helped.

For me, no Nuerotin. Lyrica is,like you said' very expensive.

nyrofan