Neurontin...3rd Day...Different Opinion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KJ2003, Sep 9, 2005.

1. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I had written that I started Neurontin and it worked well, and it does for nerve pain. After taking the first dose, I thought I had found the wonder drug. However, continuing to take it has been another bag of tricks. It makes me sleepy and stupid, two things I can't be at work (everyday, anyway). I only took one yesterday because of this effect and, even though I'm flaring today, I won't take another one until I'm ready to go to sleep tonight.

I wish this wasn't a side effect, because Neurontin is effective for nerve pain, but it is and I can't take it as prescribed and be expected to function.

I've read posts, on this board, that speak highly of Lyrica. My doctor had said he was going to switch me over, anyway, when this medicine becomes available so I will wait and hope it helps.

Just thought I'd give my 2c worth concerning Neurontin. Maybe it will help someone.

Chin up,

Kim
  2. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

My doc told me to take mine at night because of this possible side effect. If this is when you take it then I'm no help. Hope you find something that helps.
  3. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

You have to take it for awhile and some of those side effects you mentioned subside. I can only tolerate 500 mg. and I take it at night only. It does help with sleep also. I can't tolerate it during the day, just too sleepy and too forgetful.

I am wondering about Lyrica also. I thought that it was already approved for neuropathy. I hope that this will be a better alternative.

4. pearls

pearls New Member

Hello Kim,

I've been on Neurontin for several years. When I was teaching, I had a very hard time with daytime sleepiness, so my pain doctor put me on Provigil. I'd take a 200MG tab every morning. Later, I was able to take less, and to finally give it up. I still have it on hand, though, in case the problem starts up again. I know it involves "yet another drug," but sometimes that's what is necessary to find the relief we need - and to stay awake.

Yours,
    Pearl
  5. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

I use Neurontin only at nite... it is true the side effects will subside....
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I take 1200 mgs 3 x a day.It seems to target the pain in my middle back which is the worst area for me.I don't get sleepy and sometimes the pain still breaks through.I've taken it for about 6 months-it's made the difference between staying in bed or being able to sit and do a few things.Hope you find what helps you.Linda
  7. paige51

paige51 New Member

the drug makes you crazy. i was on it and after three days gave it up. there are safer drugs to take in the place of this one.

paige51
  8. lea

lea Member

How did you/your doctor decide which dose to put you on?
    thank you
    best,
    lea
  9. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Good questions, Lea. My doctor tried me out on a new medicine called NapraPAC 500, which is Naprosyn and Prevacid. I knew my stomach wouldn't tolerate an anti-inflammatory by itself but we thought I might be able to handle it with the additional medicine included.

Wrong.

It tore my stomach up. I lost my appetite for four days (lost two pounds) and was tremendously bloated, although I take a water pill every day.

So, when that didn't work he proposed Neurontin. I would imagine he is simply running down his book of tricks until we find something that works. He did say that as soon as Lyrica was available, he would switch me to this instead of the Neurontin. I guess he has done some research and thinks it might be better.

I have cut the Neurontin down to once a day (300 mg) and I think it may work, at least until I switch over to Lyrica. I just hope Lyrica doesn't make me as sleepy as Neurontin.

Neurontin does help tremendously with nerve pain so I understand why it is prescribed. It's just difficult to take and be active at the same time.

Chin up,

Kim

10. ravenpac

ravenpac New Member

I started on Neurontin for the neuropathies and had the same reaction. At first, it seemed to clear my vision and I thought that this was the drug for me. Then, when I was on the phone with a friend a few hours later, I thought I was talking to Elvis. After I hung up, Elvis was on the wall talking to me. By the fourth day, I had to ask Elvis' permission to do anything. What a trip. And it was fat Elvis, not the sexy "King". This was the first time in my life that I hallucinated. It helps lots of people, though, but not me!
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and it worked for a few weeks.I was having the extreme pain I had before the neurontin.Even with lortab and neurontin I was in extreme pain(you know the doubled up,you lose hours.... pain) and part of that was the pain slowly going away and coming back).

we worked up to this dose and it has leveled the pain off for me.I have a bad disk in that area and also in my neck.I am able to sit up and walk around the house some with this..Good luck with your meds!Linda
  12. blkkat

blkkat New Member

hi! please give it a chance, i started out the same way! it took about 3 months to get my dose right. i have a hard time with diff. kinds of drugs alot make me very sick! i can only take 100mg.in the morn. 200mg. at 4;30pm and 100mg. at bed time= 400mgs. a day, if i take 500 im a crazy lady and cant get to the store or when i come out of the store i cant find my car!!! 400mgs. i drive just fine. why? who knows but if i didnt take it id be in the crazy house. it keeps the numbness/tingling/buzzing/shooting/coldness PAIN i live with (also with pain meds)down a little bit.i didnt like it at first but now youll have to pry it out of my dead hands to take it from me!! dont get me wrong im a 8 most days on the old pain scale but with out my meds. id be a 20 and thats pretty sad when it only goes to 10!!! i hope this helps! im sorry you hurt! im sorry we all hurt! but im glad we have EACH OTHER,HERE!!!! HUGS! blkkat
  13. sitiva

sitiva New Member

Lyrica/Pregabalin. I have just been accepted into a study on the affects of Pregabalin for pain with Fibromyalgia.
    Will let you know the results for me. I am hearing of wonderful results using this med for pain relief. PS: new to the board.
  14. finessit1

finessit1 New Member

stopped taking it cause of the expense of it,,,, was costing me 50 dollars for a refill
  15. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

those side effects will subside some, but not entirely. neurontin has a nickname - morontin. i always felt dumb as rocks while taking it. i participated in a study for lyrica which is the next generation of neurontin and didn't experience those side effects. it's everything good about neurontin minus the bad. it does make you a little sleepy in the afternoon and affect your balance a bit, but it's mostly superior to morontin.

eddie
  16. but it isn't as effective as it once was. You have to start slowly and work up one more each wk. Alot of the tiredness wears off after taking it a bit. But it sure makes you GAIN WEIGHT!
  17. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Everything I have read about Lyrica suggests, to me, that it is an improvement to Neurontin and, if this is truly the case, I'm looking forward to trying it when it becomes available, which should be fairly soon.

Gaining weight...that's all I need. These days I might as well strap food to my thighs and be on my merry way, for all the good it does me.

Thanks so much for the response. I've been able to take my normal dose of Neurtonin (300 mg 2x per day) this weekend but it's because I'm not working. By tomorrow, I'll have to cut it back down to once a day taken at night.

Chin up,

Kim