Neurontin AND Klonopin at same time????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kmelodyg, Aug 1, 2003.

1. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Quick question. Today my doc gave me 2 prescriptions.

One was for 300 mg. Neurontin, I will be taking one capsule at bedtime for 3 days, then 1 capsule 2 times daily for 3 days, them 1 capsule 3 times daily from then on.

The second was for 0.5 mg Klonopin, taking 1 tablet at bedtime.

Is this right? Aren't they similar medications? Am I supposed to take both of them together?

She also wants me to stay on my Paxil. Do you think that she'll take me off because I am taking Klonopin? Isn't it used for an anti-depressant?

Any other helpful info, pros and cons, will be great. I cannot get much useful info on the web. It's alot of medical jargen. Thanks!!

Kathryn
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

Each of these meds is a different type and they are safe to take together. I believe there was a post very recently about Neurontin and Klonopin being taken together.

I take both and they do different things. Klonopin is an anti-seizure drug that is often used at night to help with sleep. I find it helps with my TMJ and RLS, also.

Neurontin is mainly used for nerve pain in FM. It is an anti-seizure med also, but it is from a different family than Klonopin.

I hope this explains it to you.

Barbara
  3. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Thanks! I really just needed that cleared up. If you read this again, can you tell me how its worked for you?

K
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Start with half the dose of the Klonopin until you know how it will affect you. Some are pretty sensitive to it in the beginning.

Love, Mikie
  5. csysybil

csysybil New Member

I am also taking neurontin, klonopin, and doxepin all at the same time. I have been for years. Though I would suggest you start everything at the lowest dosage possible and increase if you need to. That's what I did. Though I'm seriously thinking of going off the neurontin. I don't think it's helping me and I read an article that 20/20 had done about it and it made me question the drug.

Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/03/2003]
  6. Takesha

Takesha New Member

For starting this thread. I have had several people recommend neurontin and Klonopin and see that many take those and find them helpful. My biggest enemies are neuro pain (jerks and shooting pain) and inability to sleep. Can anyone tell me if this knocks you out like the elavil does, and has anyone had any problems with addiction to klonopin after long time use. Thanks
    Takesha
    I came back to also ask if these two have any effect one ones sex drive like the anitidepressents do? [This Message was Edited on 08/03/2003]
  7. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Well, its been 2 days since I've been using them. I think its working! I take them both right before I want to go to bed. Almost immediatly, I become a zombie and I pass out cold! Definatly would never take it if I wasn't ready to go to bed! Both nights I've slept for 12-14 hours straight, which I don't like. But I didn't wake up every 2 hours!!! And I wake up feeling like I want to go back to sleep all day! But I just drink some coffee and Up I Go!!!

During the day, I still am pretty tired but not too bad. I was able to make a quick car ride tonight to go get takeout food, and could stand there and order it. That's a plus!! My pain level is way down, but it is not quite all gone. I still have to take the Hydrocodone in between. But it is sooooo much better than before!! ANd my RLS has stopped, so far. And my depression is WAY down, even though I am PMSing like crazy!!

I have a question though. Tommorrow, I have to take 2 300 mg Neurontins, do I take both at night? Or one in the morning and one at night? It is a little unclear to me.

So far, so good though. I do recommend anyone that hasn't tried it, that has pain, to try it.

Love,
    Kathryn
  8. Artemis711

Artemis711 New Member

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, but not to immunesupport.com. Thanks for such great information on so many issues. I am almost ready to take my first Klonopin dosage, but have been procrastinating because I am concerned about 2 issues and wonder if anyone has answers: 1) Did Klonopin negatively impact your libido or make it difficult to enjoy sex?, 2) Did Klonopin make you gain weight? Thanks. Artemis711