Neurontin and Klonopin question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lambiepie, Aug 23, 2002.

1. lambiepie

lambiepie New Member

Do any of you use both? I am presently using Klonopin for sleep and believe it to be the best thing that ever happened to my resting at night. However, as a diabetic with fibro, I have now gotten an increase in leg pain which up until now has not been a big problem.

I am considering adding Neurontin to my regimen. Does it help you with sleep AND leg pain? If my doc says he won't give me both....which one works better for sleep AND leg pain.

My pain meds at this point are Ultram and ibuprofen(Darvocet only for extreme pain). Most of the pain over the years has been head/neck/shoulders, so this leg bit is new.
    I've done a quick search and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for except for one person who is able to take both. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your help.
    lambiepie
  2. lambiepie

lambiepie New Member

Do any of you use both? I am presently using Klonopin for sleep and believe it to be the best thing that ever happened to my resting at night. However, as a diabetic with fibro, I have now gotten an increase in leg pain which up until now has not been a big problem.

I am considering adding Neurontin to my regimen. Does it help you with sleep AND leg pain? If my doc says he won't give me both....which one works better for sleep AND leg pain.

My pain meds at this point are Ultram and ibuprofen(Darvocet only for extreme pain). Most of the pain over the years has been head/neck/shoulders, so this leg bit is new.
    I've done a quick search and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for except for one person who is able to take both. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your help.
    lambiepie
  3. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

I am currently on New-Rotten and Klonipin for my facial spasms--it's not uncommon for these meds to be used concurrently. New-Rotten(I have a love-hate thing with it) has helped many with fairly high doses--I am taking 3000mgs a day. Talk to your doc and see if he/she has a clue about the pros and cons. Get better, ya hear! Al
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

I'm taking .5 mg of klonopin, doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot, though I've only been on it since last Friday. I asked for that, didn't feel I needed pain meds at this time, to help with the twitching and spasms in my legs. It doesn't feel like the restless legs I get from nasal decongestants. It feels like a nerve twitching in one spot sometimes or other times like when someone pulls a jumprope or string tight and it vibrates thruout my calf.

Al, would you say the klonopin or the neurontin (Sorry, New-Rotten..lol) helped your spasms more? And why the love-hate--are the side effects bad?

If I have no improvement I was going to call Mon. and either ask for increased dose or a switch to neurontin. Opinions?

Best wishes to you both. Sorry I couldn't help you out Lambpie. Michele
  5. BonnieQ

BonnieQ Member

I took Neurontin for pain but it also knocks me out at night! I sleep like a log at night when I take it. I decided to go off it and see how I was actually feeling and had no bad effects, as I slowly went off of it. But then I haven't been sleeping well at all, and my pain came back so I am going back on it. Good luck with whatever you decide to take.
    Bonnie
  6. lambiepie

lambiepie New Member

I appreciate the help. I don't know why my doc said I would have to stop taking the Klonopin. We were just discussing it in passing, when I saw so many using it here. I will ask further, next time I see him in September.

Thanks for your assistance. I will now go and take my regular pain meds and see if the throbbing in the legs will ease up. I guess I have done too much the past couple of weeks. I don't know how to do things in moderation sometimes and overdo it frequently. Someday maybe I'll learn. The mind says "go" but the body says "I don't think so".
    Again, much thanks.