Neurontin and Magnesium Users ---Must Read

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by layinglow, Apr 26, 2003.

1. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I am doing extensive research on the Cental Nervous System, and Damage produced by Virus, Bacteria, and Trauma. In my research I came across the following, and thought it may be of use to those who are taking Neurontin with Magnesium supplementation, as I know both are heavily used in our disorders. LL

"Neurontin has its own receptor in the central nervous system, however it is blocked by magnesium. Do not take magnesium while taking Neurontin."

Source: presentation given by Dr. Jay Seastrunk at the 1997 CFIDS Awareness Conference held at Saddleback Hospital in Laguna Hills, CA, June 1, 1997.
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I found out before I started the Neurontin that I cannot take magnesium.
    Kathryn
  3. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I had such a problem with my restless leg syndrome while away I am leaning towards the neurontin therapy for it. dolsgirl
  4. Momster89

Momster89 New Member

Clueless,<BR>
    <BR>
    i have yet to find someone else with my conditon. the hot burning pain got my attention. the right side of my body is constantly burning and when my bare skin is toughed it feels like it is being seered. how much neurotin did you take? i planned on calling my neurosurgeon to get my dosage upped and ask about taking magnesium. what is your buring sensation caused from? i would greatly appreciate any information.
  5. IanH

IanH Active Member

between magnesium and neurontin (gabapentin) applies to magnesium carbonate, magnesium hydroxide and magnesium oxide as these are alkaline and will have an effect on stomach aciditiy and will reduce the absorption and effectiveness of gabapentin.<BR>
    <BR>
    However more modern preparations of magnesium which are not alkaline are OK, eg. magnesium chelates, magnesium glycinate, magnesium taurinate, magnesium threonate. However magnesium citrate, while not as bad as the above can interfere slightly.<BR>
    <BR>
    This interaction is more important for epilepitics and others who have epileptiform seizures and who take neurontin because thay cannot tolerate other anti-seizure medications. If you are taking neurontin for neuropathic pain the decrease in effectiveness is minor.
  6. IanH

IanH Active Member

between magnesium and neurontin (gabapentin) applies to magnesium carbonate, magnesium hydroxide and magnesium oxide as these are alkaline and will have an effect on stomach aciditiy and will reduce the absorption and effectiveness of gabapentin.<BR>
    <BR>
    However more modern preparations of magnesium which are not alkaline are OK, eg. magnesium chelates, magnesium glycinate, magnesium taurinate, magnesium threonate. However magnesium citrate, while not as bad as the above can interfere slightly.<BR>
    <BR>
    This interaction is more important for epilepitics and others who have epileptiform seizures and who take neurontin because thay cannot tolerate other anti-seizure medications. If you are taking neurontin for neuropathic pain the decrease in effectiveness is minor.
  7. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Thank you for this important information about Neurontin and magnesium. I haven't taken anything more than the small amounts of magnesium in my multi-mineral supplement, but I had been thinking about giving it a try, despite the risk that it might aggravate my IBS symptoms. I take Neurontin for pain, too, though, and after reading your post, I think I'll do without additional magnesium!

The range of information available on this board is truly amazing! I doubt I would find out about this anywhere else. Again, many thanks.

--Laura R.M.
  8. aprilhuque

aprilhuque New Member

THIS IS GREAT TO KNOW, BUT A LITTLE DEPRESSING!!!

i am seeing my Physical Medicine doctor on Monday and was going to press for Neurontin, but I take lots of Magnesium for headaches and fibro pain and sleep . . . but I really want to try Neurontin . . . but I AM SO GLAD THAT I AM INFORMED NOW, BECAUSE MY MDs haven't got a clue!

You wonderful people just make my life a liveable place, you know? I swear, if I can ever get back to work full-time in my profession (psychotherapy), I am going to give lots of money and fight for our cause!!!

Love
    April
  9. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I really appreciate this. I have not been taking any supplements because I am on guai and do not want to block anything, and hate swallowing anything extra. But thank you!
    Tibbie
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I used to take 400 mgs. Magnesium at bedtime. I had to quit Neurontin before I even got up to an effective dose because it made me so draggy, tired and stupid and caused horrid muscle pain. It definitely worked in spite of the large amt. of magnesium I took. Maybe it depends on when you take it? I took my Neurotin 2 hrs. before my Magnesium.
    Klutzo
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

But I sure take magnesium, could not live without it. Pain way, way down now for a year.

I do take Xanax, but space this two hours before the ZMA.

Thanks for the heads up, lots of members take both.

Maybe it could be spaced out?

Shalom, Shirl
  12. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I know it says on my Neurontin bottle not to take anti-acids within 2 hrs of taking it so maybe same would apply to magnesium. I just started taking more magnesium but haven't noticed the Neurontin not working so not sure if this is true for me. But I guess I can cut back on magnesium as I don't see it doing anything good for me so far and I will not give up the Neurontin - it's the only med that helps my nerve pain. You'd think if it was a major problem they would be putting that on label too.

Thanks for the tip - I had never heard this before. That's what I love about this board...always learning something new.

Peace & Blessings,
    Shaky
  13. clueless

clueless New Member

So glad to know that these should`nt be taken together. I am comparatively new at this and watch the board for anything that I may be doing wrong, This is apparently one of those things. My pain is a hot burning pain and I believe I really need the neurontin so I will drop the magnesium. Anyone thinks they are doing the right thing and very often get in trouble. My doctor gave me a pill for nerves and depression and in four days my balance was gone and I was going around hanging onto the furniture to walk. Dropped that one in a hurry!.The pharmesutical companys send people around with all these samples and we are the guinea pigs for them.Thanks again for the info.
  14. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

I am SO ANNOYED at this !!!!!
    I try to eat well and I take Calcium & magnesium, and good suppliments that I know I can't get in my food...Vites C & B, etcetera...(and I'm on Neurontin!!)~I feel like~ like~

~Drug co.'s don't love me...
    ~Vite co.'s hate me...
    I'm gonna GO EAT WORMS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love :)

Fibromiester
    sigh
  15. darlee

darlee New Member

Dear layinglow,

I read your post and it really concerned me cause I love my neurontin but started on magesium 200 mg at nite before bed. So I typed in a search on the net-neurontin and magnesium- and the makers of it have comments on this. They say we fibros need our magnesium so just space it 2 hours before or after a dose of the neurontin(because the mag. can cause less absorption of the neurontin) Thought I'd pass my info on.

darlee
  16. MemoryLane

MemoryLane New Member

For Clueless
  17. layinglow

layinglow New Member

The warnings about antacids etc. effecting meds, are addressing absorption problems, as the magnesium acts as a coating agent, I believe. Thus the absorption in the GI tract is decreased.
    The use of the two together that this article spoke about was a blocking of neural receptors. I believe this may be true of other agents as well, such as klonopin, etc., and may possibly include SSRI's. I would most definitely take my magnesium more than 2 hrs prior to neurontin or klonopin, or possibly discontinue. I have had a great deal of difficulty ascertaining the half life of magnesium in its many forms.

LL
  18. Joyce1

Joyce1 New Member

fibromeister

worms made me smile.
    thanks

jbk