neurontin and pain relief

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sarahfemme, Apr 1, 2003.

1. sarahfemme

sarahfemme New Member

Is anyone else taking Neurontin? My primary doc put me on it fo general pain relief and for migraine headaches and y psdoc went along with it hoping it wouldact as a mod stabilizer though I know that its efficacy in that regard has not been proven.) I've been taking it for about a month now and have noticed some reduction in stiffness and a definite reduction n the number of migraines I get. It does, however, have the troublesome side effect of constipation. I have tried the bulk fiber laxatives and some of the herbal ones to no avail. Anyone have suggestions? I see my doc on the 14th andd will ask him about then.
    -Sarah
  2. KayL

KayL New Member

If you use the *search* feature, you will find a LOT of posts on Neurontin. I know I've made quite a few, although they were under my previous username.

There have been plenty of posts on that particular med recently, and I'm pretty sure you will find the info you are looking for if you do this.

Karen
  3. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Hi Sarah...It helps me a lot with nerve pain but not the stiffness. How much are you taking?

I've had same side effect and a stool softener works best for me plus having my apple a day. You may have to experiment with how much stool softener works - I take 2 tablets at night.

Hope that helps.
    Shaky
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The ZMA sold here is excellent for help with pain and sleep and because it contains magnesium, it will help with constipation. You may have to take extra mag. during the day if the constipation is too great. I take Klonopin, another antiseizure/antispasmodic medication and I also suffer from constipation despite drinking a ton of water.

There is research on Klonopin to determine whether it disrupts pain signals in the brain. While it was originally given to most of us for sleep problems, RLS, anxiety/panic attacks, and sensory overload, it appears it also helps with pain.

Love, Mikie
  5. shajac

shajac New Member

I tried going off of it last year but ended up going right back on. I take 600 mg (one morning, one afternoon and two at night) tablets as well as Zanaflex for the muscle spasms and Elmiron for the bladder spasms (I hate that). I'm going to my doc tomorrow to see about doing disability. I can't seem to function anymore at work, even though I get to work at home.

Jann
  6. Gainesvillegal

Gainesvillegal New Member

The doctor also had me on neurotin supposely for painful legs neuropathy. Do you know anyone who had problems with the drug who has high blood pressure?