NEURONTIN didn't work.How likely is it that LYRICA will work well

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fourstriper, Mar 4, 2006.

1. fourstriper

fourstriper Member

I am a guy in his early 30's (ill since 16) and have severe CFS/FMS (bedridden most of the time and need someone to cook, clean etc.) & took NEURONTIN for quite some time a number of years back although nothing improved, not even with the very large dose regimen. What are the chances LYRICA will work for me..even (fingeres crossed) significantly given they are both cousins and act similarly.

The benzodiazepines, which work on the GABA system in the brain all have had different measures of success. Other Gaba-ergic drugs (Lamictal,older seizure meds didn't have an effect). Effexor/Wellbutrin, high dose MS CONTIN and 2mg Clonazepam have taken me from a state of living death and unmitigated suffereing to feeling confotable.

I would really appreciate hearing from ANYONE with specific personal experience that even vaguely parallels my own {with Neurontin not working, but Lyrica working wonders or doing something significant anyways} or knowlwedge about studies, doctors words or studies which Neurontin didn't work or very mildly or wore off, yet Lyrica (its cousin and very similar in chemical structure) had significant result.

Many thanks in advance!
  2. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Bumping so you can get some answers.

It may be a trial and error thing...since we all react so differently to drugs.
  3. JohnBee

JohnBee New Member

Hello; Been on Lyrica for 6 weeks, formerly on Neurontin. Neurontin did nothing for me but give me a huge hangover. Jury is still out on Lyrica; pluses for me....good antidepressant, helps with sleep. Minuses; makes me dizzy and unsteady, forgetful. Has not helped much with arm and leg weakness and pain. Am experimenting with dosage between 200 and 450 mg. per day, taken 12 hrs apart. You may want to try it if you can afford it..90 150mg capsules cost me $172.00. Good luck. JB
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I am not currently on Lyrica but hope to start shortly.

My MIL used to take Neurontin and it did nothing for her except put her to sleep all the time. She has now been Lyrica for a bit and is really liking it. She is getting relief from pain and is able to sleep. She has ideopathic Neuropathy.

Hopefully that is some help to you.