Neurontin for Sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Has anyone here tried Neurontin (gaba pentin) for sleep?

What were the results?

How much did you take?

Was it in combination with anything else?

I just learned that Dr. Cheney recommends it for use along with klonopin and doxepin, but I don't recall having heard people talk about their success with it.

I've taken Neurontin before, but that was in an effort to reduce my mood swings before I started taking Lamictal. I didn't like it for that purpose, partially because it made me feel groggy.

It might be useful in smaller doses for sleep though.

Thanks!

Best, Lisa

2. roge

roge Member

Hi Lisa

I have been researching drugs where clinical studies have shown an increase in stage 3 and 4 sleep and up until a few days ago I had only found a few studies and all were with one drug (Xyrem) but I recently found a study that showed Neurontin did in fact increase slow wave sleep.

I have not tried it myself, a Neuro recommended it over a year ago but I declined but I may reconsider.

I think for sleep as you say in smaller doses in combo with smaller doses of other sleep drugs could be quite useful.

peace
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I've been on Neurontin 1200 mg at night before bed, Celexa 30 mg at night before bed, and two Ultracet twice a day. This regimen has helped me with restorative sleep. Before the regimen, or any change in the regimen, I have problems with sleep. My rheumatologist believes that the pain that FMS causes is caused from increased awareness of pain / serotonin levels. The Celexa deals with that, thus relieving the pain. The Nerontin also helps with it. Another factor is the problem that FMSers have with sleep, exacerbating the pain ... the Neurontin along with the Celexa and the pain reliever, Ultracet totally works to give me rest. That helps during the day with pain perception, etc. Anyway, the medication regimen really has worked for me. The Celexa works better than the Cymbalta did for sure.