Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JEANSKI, Mar 25, 2009.

JEANSKI New Member

I am just starting and taking 300 2x a day. How much do you take and is it effective for pain? I am actually feeling more pain right now. Can't tell exactly why other than maybe the weather? I would really appreciate any information you may have. Thanks. Also, what kinds of side effects have you experianced. I am feeling some out of the ordinary things and want to know if it could be related to the new meds. Thanks.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

not taking it anymore. did not help and couldnt do side affects. no pain relief.

weather right now is killing me. what other meds are you taking?

JEANSKI New Member

Makes me laugh just thinking about it. I take amour thyroid, effexor xr, risperdal, remeron, vit d 50,000 weekly, mega dose of b vits, cal-mag and mega multi vits, and now the neurontin. Wish I could get away with not taking anything...or at least getting a large dose of RELIEF with the LARGE dose of pills.

I am feeling increasingly angry and out of control feeling, my pain has increased as well instead of decreased....don't know what thats about...
  4. lyzzy

lyzzy New Member

I take the generic form, Gabapentin. My dose is 2 -300mg capsules 3 times a day, and then if I go into a flare and it gets bad, I take 3 300mgs 3x a day. I have been on it a year, and had some side effects, bt they went away.It seems to work for me with the pain, and the pins and needles in my feet. My dose is high, but I also worked up to it. Does your doc have you increasing the dose iver time?
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Though they are both anti seizure meds, they are actually somewhat different, as far as how they act in the body and the effects of each can also be very different.

I was on neurontin a few yrs ago, and it was one of the few meds that I could tolerate without having really bad side effects, and it did help some with pain and anxiety....however, it didn't help enough to make the extra tiredness and ataxia that came with it worth it. And, i tried the generic and it did nothing at all for me. (I know they are supposed to basically be the same, but they are really not at all.)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/28/2009]

JEANSKI New Member

I am not sure if my doc will up the dose. I see her April 15. We are a joint effort, so if I am not happy with my results so far at that point I am sure she will do something (ie: up the dose or switch med) I think its still too early to tell exactly how effective it is being. I usually need time to assess and think. I don't like to be too hasty.
  7. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

I'm on 3000mg of it per day, 3 divided doses. I also have peripheral neuropathy though so it's mainly for that. Not sure if it really helps at all. It does make me tired so I sleep very well so that's good.
  8. 2manyanimals

2manyanimals New Member

I take 2400 mg all at night. Helps me sleep. Was working well until I tried Lyrica. That drug was a nightmare for 3 months. Back to gabapentin but not as effective after the lyrica. Also take Cymbalta 90mg. It is an antidepressant that works well for neuropathy. Had been taking effexor for post partum depression that never went away for 10 years. I think is masked much until I finally collapsed. I also have RLS so I take mirapex. Hydrocodone helps take the edge off, but research shows that narcotics don't help pain all that much.

The best thing I have for pain is actually not drugs but a TENS unit. It uses electrical stimulus to block the pain response. I LOVE it. I use it every day. I call it my Frankenstein Unit because of all the wire and pads when I get hooked up. What's great is that I can keep moving the electrode pads around to focus the pain relief.

9. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I had to stop taking it due to side effects...but it helped alot
  10. italiano

italiano New Member

Hi there, i don't sign on much. Just found your post from March. I am on this medication now for pain and just started it 3 weeks ago. I take 300 x3 day. I only feel benefit after the 3rd pill so I believe I will need a higher dose. You are on 3000 per day. Does it come in a higher dose tablet than 300 or do you have to take more than one pill at the same time?
    It makes me sleepy but it's worth the side effect to have pain control.
    appreciate any feedback.
  11. LonelyHearts

LonelyHearts New Member

12. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I'm super sensitive to meds because of severe ME. I tried Neurontin in a liquid form so I could take the smallest dose. I don't recall now what the dosage was but I was only putting like a mm or so in the tiny container that came with it. I had bad heart palpations every night once I started it and finally the 6th night, the heart palps were so bad I thought I might die plus they lasted for a half an hour.

I went off it right then. I never did get any benefit from it.