Neurontin/Lamictal questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by italiano, Aug 31, 2009.

1. italiano

italiano New Member

I have been reading internet info on these meds. I just get confused and don't understand so am asking you all to assist. I know on this board there will be some experienced personnel on the matter.I was prescribed neurontin for my severe fibro pain 1800mg. It seems to work a bit but not what i was hoping for. They both are anti seizure drugs and bipolar drugs but supposed to help with pain? Does lamictal work for pain or just the neurontin? If the neurontin does not work what else is out there for extreme pain?
    I don't want to ask for a narcotic. any feedback is appreciated.
  2. tuba

tuba New Member

Hi Italiano,
    I can just relate what has worked for me for my fibro pain & then maybe you can get some ideas. I also have pain from a traumatic accident. I was initally perscribed Cymbalta for my fibro pain along with Hydrocodone (Lortab) to be used occasionally & sparingly for biggie break-thru pain. I also utilize relaxation techniques for stress & pain reduction & as well as for a sleep aid. It is quite helpful for me. Why don't you check it out too? There are many cassette tapes & CD's on the subject. Then after 3 mos., the Cymbalta stopped working. I was so upset, as it had been such a relief initially. Then instead I was perscribed 900mg of Neurontin daily along with the Lortab as needed. After 2 yrs., the Neurontin has been "bumped" up to 1200mg daily & I still use the Lortab as needed. I also went to a psychologist who helped me deal with the stress/pain issues. She was an angel & understood extreme pain & how to live with it on a daily basis. Maybe you can ask your dr. about something like this, especially since you don't want a narcotic. Good luck, Italiano, on dealing with your pain issues. It's an ongoing process.
    Irish Julie
  3. italiano

italiano New Member

your experience has helped me! thanks for sharing.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I take Lamictal as it helps my AD. It has really helped and this is the longest I have been on an AD without it not wearing off.

However, I don't think it helped with the pain unless I would be in worse pain than I am now.

I do know someone who tried neurontin for pain and finally stopped taking it. She also gained a lot of weight from it.

I have been on the same dosage 100mg. of lamictal for over two years.

I don't know if this will help but did want to share my experience.

Take care.

5. tuba

tuba New Member

Dear Italiano,
    I hope that my experiences will be able to help you in some way. I would be thrilled. I truly believe that we are all here to help each other. So many good people have helped me with my struggles with pain. I also realize that sometimes insurance limits us as to what we can do or whom we can see. I hope that this is not true in your case. Rereading my post, the message seems kind of muddled. Maybe the lateness of the hour, or just me. Who knows? Be sure to post again & let us know if you have gotten some pain relief & what your dr. says. Julie
  6. jole

jole Member

I was taking both. The Lamictal was for the depression; the Neurontin for the pain. However, the combination for me did not work. I still take the Lamictal because it cleared up the brain fog so much...but the Neurontin did absolutely nothing for my pain, even at the 1800 mg level. All it did was make me clumsy and very, very sleepy. I was using a cane due to my imbalance issues while on it...which mostly cleared up when I weaned back off.

Each of us are different, and many people on the board have been helped greatly with the Neurontin for the pain. I have been on Tramadol (Ultram) for years for the pain. It helps with the leg pain and lower back pain enough that I can at least get around, but does nothing for the upper back/neck/head areas. For that I rely on Excedrin Migraine when the pain gets unbearable. Then of course, lots of days nothing works, but my doc won't prescribe anything stronger than the Tramadol....

I hope you find some relief. This is a very miserable life....friends, Jole
  7. italiano

italiano New Member

Tuba(julie) don't feel bad. My brain is muddled every day. i have to reread and retype everything and it's embarrassing especially at work. your post made sense and i will keep you posted in the future. my next doctor appt. isn't until oct.
    jole-thanks too. i was nodding in agreement when I read " it's a miserable life we live"
    yes, it honestly is.
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am also on Lamictal 100 mgs. to help my ADs work better and it has been a miracle.

I did not know you could take it only when needed.

I do remember my doctor saying that if I missed a dose, even one day, I would have to start all over. Now, I realize he was saying this while I was titrating up. I have missed days, inadvertently, but had no problem.

I have read that Lamictal has been found to be helpful for a lot of things. Unfortunately, my brain is foggy and can't remember what they were.

How much does your mom take for pain. I have been having intermittent trouble with breakthrough pain.

Thanks for the info.

ETA I take tramadol 100-300 mg. as needed. [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2009]
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I am on lamictal as well and was warned to take it daily, not as needed. It has to get in your system and build up so to speak in order to work, at least that's what I know about it.
    That's one of the downsides to it, the slow titration. Warnings on the script do say that if you miss three doses, that you are supposed to start over at 25 mgs.
  10. day2day

day2day Member

I was prescribed the Lamictal last year, I am now on a dosage of 200 mg. I think it has helped somewhat with the pain, though I do still have flares that make it impossible to leave the house, and also where I am bed ridden. I am also on Remeron 30 mg.

For me, along with the cfs/fibro pain which I have had since the 80's, I was suffering with major depression which was mostly caused by the cfs . I was extremely resistant to take meds for my mental health after bad experiences in the past with meds to treat my depression. I have to say they have come a long way with the meds out there now. The Lamical and Remeron have helped me so much with the depression that often comes along with having a long term chronic illness, I do not feel as hopeless as I did prior to starting the meds, it is like a weight has been lifed. So, yes I do still have pain, but it is more tolerable mentally because of the meds.

I have loritab for those times I can not take the pain, but I have always tried to not rely on the narcotics.

Hope this helps
  11. jole

jole Member

My psych told me Lamictal had to be taken every day or it could cause severe side effects. She said occasionally missing a day may be okay, but to be very careful and watch for a rash. Some people (rarely) have actually died from this drug. So I'm amazed that anyone would be told to take it as needed. It just wouldn't do any good that way, plus could be very dangerous.

You might want to read up on it...sometimes docs do make a matter of fact, I'm going to read up on it too.

Add-on: This drug has many very serious, life-threatening side effects if not taken correctly. I'm not sure who was taking it "as needed" since I don't see a post stating that, but please everyone, follow your doctor's orders with this medication. It's a great med when taken correctly.[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2009]
  12. italiano

italiano New Member

I too get the bed bound at times. Thanks for sharing because it made sense about pain being more tolerable mentally.
    I just got a script for loritab and will try that.
  13. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

I am already on lexapro for depressiomn, but I was having nasty mood swing... Rages... dr started me on Lamictal about a month ago for a mood stabilizer... It has really helped.. I am on 50mg right now, but I see him tomorrow and will probably be upped to 75-100mg.. I feel a little more in control now.. a bit clearer...still get fibro fog but as far as emotional I am doing a lot better.. I don't feel as mean and bitter and on the edge...
  14. italiano

italiano New Member

thanks for your reply ...that is encouraging for i am on lexapro too. i see you posted at 12:02 am...i assume you have insomnia.(ji take sleeping pill every nite) it's a hard life. all just a balancing act.
  15. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

dr upped my dose from 50mg, to 100mg and next week I start 200mg... I have to tell you. This stuff really helps... I was getting SO angry..I mean totally making myself a nervous wreck from hollering and screaming and I was starting to throw stuff when I got mad.. It didn't take much either.. Now I feel way more in control of my temper.. I still get irritable, crap, I feel like Ive been hit by a mack truck most of the time! LOL but I do believe the increase will just help me get better and better (emotionally speaking)...