NEURONTIN manufacturer sued for illegal marketing, please read!!

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by DragonladyOhio, Jul 11, 2004.

1. DragonladyOhio

DragonladyOhio New Member

If you have *ever* taken neurontin for anything (except seizures), you have been misinformed, your health may be in danger, and you may be able to get money from the drug company through a class-action lawsuit. Please stop taking it, and contact your doctor and a lawyer right away!

My name is Linda...I had neurontin prescribed for me because of depression, migraines, fibromyalgia and chronic pain, and it does not help any of those conditions; it can actually *hurt* you. The manufacturers illegally "leaked" that the drug could be used for more than 11 other conditions, but it does NOT help those conditions. Here is a copy of a news article I read about it. I'd post the url, but I'm not allowed to, so you can just search for it on the internet to find more.

I called this phone # for information about a lawsuit: Goldwater Law Firm (1-800-TOXICRX). I don't know if it is appropriate for people to call everywhere, or if it's just a local thing in ohio, but you can give it a try if you want. You can also do a search online for free legal advice (don't ever pay for advice). I will try to update you
    all when I get more information about my particular lawsuit.

------------------<news article>-------------------------------------
    Pfizer Inc. recently confirmed that it settled a Medicaid fraud claim
    against its Warner-Lambert subsidiary for $430 million. Pfizer,
    Inc., Parke-Davis and Warner Lambert concocted uses for the drug
    NEURONTIN (gabapentin) and promoted numerous off-label uses. This
    drug was originally sold by Parke-Davis, which was a subsidiary of
    Warner Lambert, which in turn was acquired by Pfizer, Inc. in 2000-
    2001. Through its sales of NEURONTIN, these companies made profits
    which exceeded THREE BILLION DOLLARS. The manufacturer of NEURONTIN
    fraudulently marketed this drug to doctors as a treatment for the
    following illnesses:
    · Bipolar Disorder
    · Pain Syndromes, Peripheral Neuropathy, Diabetic Neuropathy
    · Treatment of Epilepsy Alone
    · Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
    · Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
    · Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)
    · Trigeminal Neuralgia
    · Post-Hepatic Neuralgia (PHN)
    · Essential Tremor Periodic Limb Movement
    · Migraines
    · Drug and Alcohol Withdrawal Seizures

Potential Neurontin side effects include several that are common to a
    number of drugs: sleepiness, dizziness, headache, alcohol intolerance
    and nausea. Other Neurontin side effects are more serious, such as
    viral infections, convulsions, memory loss, and vomiting/diarrhea.
    The most severe of the potential Neurontin side effects is a suicidal
    tendency.
    Claimants in Neurontin lawsuits will often seek to recover the cost
    of medication, any medical costs stemming from the damage done by the
    drug, pain and suffering, and in some cases, punitive damages against
    the defendant. You may wish to join a Neurontin lawsuit if you or a
    loved one has suffered due to Neurontin that was prescribed for a non-
    FDA approved use, or has experienced side effects as a result of
    taking the drug.
    ---------------<end of news article>----------------

Hope this opens some eyes! Linda
  2. honeybug

honeybug New Member

I've been taking Neurontin for fibromyalgia for about 4 years. It has always been my "miracle drug". I've never noticed any side effects but lately it has done nothing to help my pain. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones. I wonder if this law suit would affect me.
  3. florenceb

florenceb New Member

I know it was either 60 Minutes; 20/20; or Dateline. The journalists secretly videotaped salemen who were told to PUSH the drug for every disease; I was given it for severe migraines about 6 yrs ago (Time?) I started at 100 mgs and was to increase to 900 mgs-TWICE a day! That sent up a red flag right there.. I could barely stay awake on 400 mgs.

This bears repeating: When the FDA approves a drug for any disease---it CAN BE PRESCRIBED for ANYTHING. For example, Provigil is a drug approved for narcolepsy (falling asleep during the day) Yet 80% of its prescriptions are NOT for narcolepsy.

I have heard many people benefit from Neurontin. There is a more potent drug coming out this year called Lyrica which is supposed to be better than Neurontin. But I do not know who will manufacture it.

Don't always rely on your dr's info about drugs since most get their info from drug reps: or from drug trials FUNDED by the drug companies.

Celexa "changed " into Lexapro (many people feel no difference) Prozac "changed" into Serafem (ditto)

Please do not take this the wrong way: Neurontin helps alot of people. But after taking 60plus medicines over 20+ years, I have learned the hard way: Bottom Line: Investigate THOROUGHLY! The internet is super for doing this!