Neurontin or Gabapentin for Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pawneeem, Nov 20, 2008.

1. pawneeem

pawneeem New Member

Has anyone taken these drugs for pain management? My doc. just prescribed gabapentin for pain. I am to take 100mg at night and 100mg in the morning? Any info would be great.

Also does anyone ever notice the difference between generic versions of the drug? Just wondered, I have heard that they have different fillers that can cause different reactions.
  2. jole

jole Member

I was taking 1200 mg/day for pain/sleep issues and didn't see any results at all. Was on Neurontin for the first month, then switched to gabapentin because of the price. No side effects with either, but no help either.

However, there are people on this site that feel the Neurontin has helped them a lot. So like everything else, it is different for each individual. It's worth a try***Jole***
  3. BexinTex

BexinTex New Member

In the 6 months I took it, I maxed out my dosage, didn't help with the pain & I lost alot of hair.

theres not suppose to be much difference between a regular drug & a generic.
  4. mom2many

mom2many New Member

I take 300mg 3 times a day (for 3 weeks now) for nerve pain from shingles. I have pain down my left leg and across my lower back. It's helping me a bit, when I see my Dr. in 2 weeks I'm going to see if we can increase the dose.
  5. tut90

tut90 Member

I take 300mg twice day, and to me it just dulls the pain some, I don't get much of a relief from this medication.

I went to my doctor yesterday and the receptionist ask me for my driver's license, she told me she needed to make a copy for their records. I asked her if it had anything to do with the medications I was taking, she said she didn't know. Has anyone here been requested a copy of their license?

Thanks, Tut90
  6. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

Have you tried it yet. I take 25 mg 3 x a day and it really helps me. Nothing else has helped like this has.
  7. mom2many

mom2many New Member

ALL the Dr.'s offices has asked for my license for a copy before I even see the Dr for the 1st time.
  8. poets

poets Member

I take 900 mg 3 X a day. I don't think it helps nearly as much as I would like it to but if I don't have it, the pain does get a bit worse. I take the generic. The only difference I've noticed is that the tablet form doesn't help nearly as well as the capsule. Of course, that's just me.

9. quanked

quanked Member

What is this about? I allow only a copy of my insurance carrier for medical files. I would carefully think about giving this kind of info to anyone. Especially when the individual asking for personal info cannot tell you why it is needed. Why would one's medical provider need this kind of info? My driver's license number is no one's business except mine and the DMV's. I believe in giving as little info as is possible to the public. As we continue to loose more and more civil rights and give up more and more privacy I think it is wise to hold on to what little privacy we have left.
  10. emah

emah Member

hope I spelled it right. I had been taking 1800-2400 mg a day and it didn't help me. It made me sleepy at first but then I just got use to it. Since I just got Medicare I have just started the "miracle drug" Lyrica because I can now afford it. I just got started so have seen no difference yet. Oh I took the gabapeting for at least 6 months.

Like someone else said medicines work differently on people, this is just my experience.
  11. mindblower

mindblower New Member

Nuerontin/Gabapentin and Lyrica/Pregabalin medications did not work in me, but this definitely is a good path to explore for symptom relief as there are other anticonvulsant medications worth considering, one that might not work for one may work in another.

Keppra is the latest one I've just started a trial dose of if you've seen my other posts. Also, Dr Cheney has observed through testing that those with ME/CFS, our brains, tend to be shifted toward seizure.

This further supports the use and trial of this class of us. Then neurological conditions of many types, even brain injury based ones, often have excessive calcium influx-glutamate excitotoxicity.

This abnormal functioning too is often thought best treated by calcium channel blockers for which many anticonvulsants are.

12. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

I took Gabapentin for awhile for Migrains , the only problem I had with it is : it made me sleepy , I have to say I slept better while taking it. I no longer take it.
    I do take Lyrica ,, and have recived a letter from my insurance company that I could take Gabapention instead of Lyrica if I wanted to ....I prefer the Lyrica...

like so many other Meds and or treetments. we are all Different so will have Different reactions

I hope this turns out to help you .

... someone asked about giving a copy of your Drivers licence to the Doctors.. just a couple of weeks ago for a sleep study they asked for my Drivers licence, no big deal really I don't think.
  13. ANGELEO728

ANGELEO728 New Member

was on 1200 mg a day down to 600 mg a day. i have had so much brain fog and it makes me so tired that my doc suggested only taking 600 mg a day in the evening. It doesn't help with the pain too well, but I can sleep at least. I also take 50 mg of seroquel at night along with 200 mg of celebrex. I haven't noticed much help with any of them except I can sleep now.
  14. pawneeem

pawneeem New Member

I wanted to thank everyone for responding to my request. Your information does help. I am thankful to always find new sources of info on this message board. It is a great place to find help. Better than the doctors offices.

Have a great day,
  15. greatgran

greatgran Member

I haven't taken either but from what I have read aren't all these drugs including lyrica some what anti-sizure drugs? If so then that may explain why xanax helps with my aches .

Not sure about the generic versions of the neurontin or gagapentin but I ask the pharmacist about the generic xanax and she told me they might have different coatings but the drug was the same . I am not sure but I know my mother in law, who is 91 was taking valium and when the swithced to generic she couldn't take it.

Meds are so confussing.

God Bless,
  16. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

my "rhumy" dr. said she was going to give me gabapentin because lyrica was to expensive , i`m on medicare ,,if you don`t mind me asking
    what do you pay for lyrica ,,i paid 4.00 for gabapentin 600mg 90tab.

17. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

i take 600 mg 3x day 1 in morning 2 at night and i .25mg of requip

i have restless leg syrdrome ,fibro,,,,,,,,, you name i have it

i see the diffence i was taking only the requip and i had pain so now

the dr. gave me gabapentin i feel better i had ask her for lyrica

but she said it was to expensive so i got gabapentin.

18. Engel

Engel New Member

I take gabapentin (generic neurotin) and it makes me sleepy/dopey too. But if I don't take it I can really tell a difference. It sure isn't 100% but it helps some. I also suffer with RLS, sleep apnea, carpal tunnel and many other things ... don't we all though? I could not tolerate Lyrica so gabapentin is the best I can hope for I guess? Maybe something new and improved will come our way some day?