Neurontin Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jun 10, 2008.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Hey all-

Hope you are all doing well. Long time no see!!!! I was wondering who here takes Neurontin and has had good luck with it and what mg do u take. Thanks.

2. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

Hi Kriket,
    Yes, I take neurontin (actually gabapentin, generic is cheaper!) and have had really good results. The very first day I took it, that night I had a better night's sleep than I-don't-know-when. My pain level is much more manageable and not waking up in pain all during the night like I used to, is wonderful.

My mother has FM also and she's had equally good results on neurontin; she used to have continous severe burning pain in her feet and sometimes other places on her body and that has almost disappeared (she is on Cymbalta, too, though - so it may be the combination).

My only complaint about the neurontin is weight gain... 10 lbs in a year. :-(

Layla1954 (Lee Ann)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/11/2008]

I forgot to mention my dosage - I take 1200 mg a day, my mother takes 1800 mg. According to our doctor, up to 3600 mg is safe, and I verified that online because it sounded like such a high dose compared to other meds. Other than weight gain neither of us has had ANY side effects.[This Message was Edited on 06/11/2008]
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've been taking 300 mg a day and I find it really helps with the nerve pain in my arms and legs. Doesn't do anything for the FM though.

I'm not sure if our dosage in Canada is different than the US, because some people are on really high doses compared to me.

All the best,

4. kriket

kriket New Member

I just started taking 350mg twice a day. It does seem to help and relax me somewhat, so I am hoping it will continue to help.

5. poets

poets Member

It really didn't help like it should so the doctor put me back on Neurontin. It seems to help me sleep a bit better. I take 900mg twice a day.