NEURONTIN ...those who take it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Oct 24, 2005.

1. I was wondering what dosages do you take? I take 300 mg. , 4 pills a day, my dr. wants me to take 5 but I really don't want to increase it. Matter of fact I would like to get off it.
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I take 6 300 mg tablets a day and it really helps with the nerve pain in the middle of my back.(that is the palce I cannot function if it hurts very bad.That's the one pill I cannot do without.If you don't have much nerve pain I'd ask the doctor to try and decrease the dose.Linda
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I take 300 mg. capsules, 3 x day.

This has been on of the BEST meds that I have found for fibro. It has really helped my pain - and I have never had any side effects from it.

The other thing that really helps is the Cymbalta.
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I have been taking it for almost a year. My dose is 200mg 3 times a day, along with 100 mg Tramadol (ultram) 3 times a day too. With the tramadol I also take 1 xs tylenol too.

This combonation really helps the nerve pain that I get in my legs, arms & hands.

On really bad days, it will seem like its not working or just not fast enough. Those are the days I try to stay in bed with the heating pad.

If you do decide to go off Neurotin, have your dr. help you to gradually stop it.
  5. were you on them and had a bad experience, just wondering you seemed so definately against them?
  6. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Is NOT metabolized by the liver, so that is a good thing, it is excreted through the kidneys. It seems to help a lot with nerve pain as mentioned.

Laura
  7. DFL

DFL New Member

is really bad now, it got like this a while back and they put me on neurontin 300mg-1 a day it helped. I went off my cymbalta about 3 weeks ago because of the price. I went to the dr. yesterday and i am about ready to lose my mind.I am walking the floors at night digging my arms with about everything i can find.( Depressed, fatigue,anxiety,dont care about nothing). she put me on 300mg 4 times a day and a new anxiety pill-clorazepate 7.5 mg 3 a day. I sure hope it helps because I am about at the end of my rope. How many of ya'll have burning in your arms and shoulders???
  8. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member

I have been taking it for 2 yrs morning and night for nerve pain. It helps the Post Polio pain in my legs and feet also the bad burning in my hands and feet. I really like it. I still have lots of pain but this helps it. Sherry
  9. june-bug

june-bug New Member

that I got fibro. I thought it was helping but it now Im not sure if I was just in a mini remission and it happened to be the same time I was taking neurontin or if it stopped working
    because the pain came back a year later. I had started with just 600 mg per day and was at 1200 per day. My doc said to increase the dose again to 1800 mg per day .....and thats when my hair started falling out again ( a side effect I get from many drugs but hadnt gotten from neurontin until the 1800 mg).
    SO NEEDLESS TO SAY, I weaned off and "tolerated" the nerve pain for a year. Im back on it now but only at 100 mgs 3 times per day as the pain has gotten intolerable. I hate the idea of taking meds and like to use drugs I can pop when I feel the pain is too much and not the kind you take every day. I am in remission from cancer and dont like foreighn chemicals in my body but I also want a better quality of life so I have to weigh out the goods and the bads.I only take it in flares and live with conciderable nerve pain at other times. I am going to wean off again and see if the flare is gone and if I can live with the pain yet. Good luck to us all!! June-Bug
  10. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I take it with good success. I just upped my dose from 600 mg-3x day to 800mg-3x day. For me, I didn't notice an immediate change. It took a month or so and I realized my hands were not getting numb and some pain and been relieved.

Lyrica is a new drug similar. My doctor offered, but I decided to stick with the neurontin. I believe the dosages are lower and perhaps frequency of taking it. Don't know if that matters to you. It is possible that your insurance won't pay since neurontin is now generic and is so similar.

I hope you find what works.