Neurontin Update/Lyrica Question...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KJ2003, Sep 15, 2005.

1. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Hey All,

Well, I've been on Neurontin for a little over a week and everyone was right. My body adjusted to the side effects and I can take it when prescribed without getting sleepy. And it really helps with nerve pain.

Now that I am used to Neurontin, I'm not sure I want to switch to Lyrica. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

Thanks!

Chin up,

Kim
  2. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

3. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Would really like some imput on the Lyrica question from someone who knows.

BUMP :)
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have no answers for you, but thought I'd bump it up again. Have you noticed any weight gain with Neurotin? I tried it once a long time ago, and gained weight like crazy.

Just so you'll know...hope it doesn't happen to you. How are you feeling?

Sue
  5. damyank

damyank New Member

just a heads up lyrica or pregabalin was just fda approved it is the same as neurontin but dosage is less for example you can go up to 3600mf of nueurontin and the pregabalin is 450mg max. my rheumy asked me to be in study get meds for free etc... but a little leary since in order to be in study i have to stop taking evrything else but overall it is supposed to have a better absorption rate.
  6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

as it is in generic form now. New medications cost a lot more.

So if you can handle Neureotin I say stay with that one.
  7. RioRita1717

RioRita1717 New Member

Hello All,
    I just started Lyrica last week, which my Doc told me is the same thing is Pregabalin. I'd been watching for this to come out for awhile and it just snuck up on me! I took Neurontin for awhile about 3 years ago. I got up to a pretty good number of mg's(can't remember exactly how much), but it didn't really do ANYTHING. No side effects, but no help either. When I was started on the Lyrica I was given 50 mgs and told to take 1-2 a day. I THOUGHT I was being given the same dosage as the Pregabalin(25 mg), but it is so new that my pharmacy didn't have the brand name. Anyway, I took too many too soon so had some unpleasant side effects like dizziness(mostly). When I realized what I had done I went back on a slow titration up and am having NO problems whatsoever and am actually starting to feel a WEE bit better! I have pain that averages 8 on a 1-10 scale. So, here's hoping!!!!!

Best to All!
  8. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Thank you so much for your responses. In reply to fivesue, I haven't noticed any weight gain with Neurontin. Everybody is different, though.

I'm going to ask my doctor if it is available here yet and see if he'll call it in because he was going to switch me anyway. I have good insurance so it shouldn't cost too much.

Thanks again everybody :)

Chin up,

Kim
  9. spasco

spasco New Member

I just started Lyrica Monday night. I am to take 2-50mg per day for a total of 100mg a day. I have noticed a definite decrease in pain already, not to mention being able to sleep at night. My scalp is not in horrible pain. I have actually gotten to the point where I am happy and can say I feel good. My pain level is at around 5, down from 7-8. That awesome to me. I can function better now. I am not totally fogged up either.

God bless! Stephanie
  10. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I am from UK and tonight a friend who also has firo rang me.She told me about a man her husband knows who had just been put on PREGABALIN(which is LYRICA)and it is supposed to be a wonder drug for fibro!

I have noticed on here that a few of you are on Lyrica and I have been looking to see how you are all doing on it.

I hope it works!!!

Take care

Rena