Neurontin vs. Topamax?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shazz, Jul 9, 2003.

1. shazz

shazz New Member

I have seen people have some success with these drugs for reducing pain in FM.
    Anybody tried both or either?
    They are both anti seizure meds.
    I have heard the topamax causes weight loss which would be a great side effect for me. But I am afraid that anything that causes weight loss will cause more insomnia, which is something I REALLY could not tolerate.
    I am going to ask my doc about these two meds, and just wanted any feedback from those using them.
  2. Dee33K

Dee33K New Member

I had to take it slow on the topamax initially. It did affect the sleep a little. The suggestion was to split the amount taking half AM half PM. That worked just fine. It has been worth it. There are lots of ways to adjust your meds while getting used to them. For me, going slow with the increase has been worth sticking with the topamax. I am just now on 75mg after 4 months. I take 50mg at night and 25mg in the AM. It has helped with the weight loss, too.
    Dee
  3. mamafrey

mamafrey New Member

I have been on Neurotin since March, started out at 300, had to go slowly. I did notice that for the first couple of weeks i felt better every time they upped me, then it would lose its effect. I was up to 800 4xday. I am switching over to topamax but have to come off the neurotin slowly. The only change the neurotin did was it took the burning in my head and spine away. But am still very numb.

Bob, what is LDN? i have never heard of this one before.

Back to the neurotin, i would fluctuate 5lbs. either way.

Have a nice day and God bless you. mama