Neurontin what dosage helps, how long till it works?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladydi, Apr 30, 2003.

1. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Hi all,

I was recently put on Neurotin. 100mg. up to 200mg.

This sounds to me like a low doseage. I was also wondering how long it takes to feel the effect of it. (That is if it's gonna work at all)

Have you had any side effects? What's so good about
    Neurotin?

Thanks for reading my post.

Diane
  2. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Diane,
    You can find lots of posts about Neurontin if you do a search. As for me I started out low like you as is recommended so you get used to it. Every is different so side effects may be none or some sleepy, dizziness & maybe some tingling when the dosage is increased which will go away within a week or so - that's why docs usually have you take more at bedtime. If you are not feeling anything yet ask for higher dosage and eventually it should help. It's the only med that helps my nerve pain and I love it. I'm now taking 300 at bed, 200 twice during the day and usually that's enough unless I'm having a bad day. Some people take much more so it just depends on how much you need.

Hope that helps...good luck!

Shaky
  3. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`ve been taking Neurotin for almost two monthes and I really like it. I feel so much better on it. I did make me terribly tired the first week. I started on 300 mg three times a day. I think it would have been much better to start at a lower dosage and then go up.
  4. JannyW

JannyW New Member

Hi Diane,
    I take 600mg of Neurontin, split into 2 doses. I've had severe pain in my arms -- elbows, wrists, fingers -- and it's the only thing that has helped. Can't wait for it to go generic, tho -- it's a little pricey.

I actually got relief from the pain within about 10 days.

Jan ^v^
    [This Message was Edited on 04/30/2003]
  5. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Neurontin overall is very well tolerated by most people and favored by the docs because it is one of the few drugs in it's class that is not hard on your liver.

I started at 100 mg at bedtime and was on this almost a year. I was recently increased to 300mg at bedtime and this week 300mg 3x a day.

No complaints from me and I was one who had severe leg cramps every night of my life for the last 23 years.

Lane
  6. bakron

bakron New Member

I was also just placed on Neurontin about 2 days ago. I take 200 mg at bed time, and it has helped to be sleep. I was waking up frequently and having a hard time getting back to sleep . . at times not getting back to sleep . . which was terrible for my next day at work. Because of the lack of sleep, symtoms increased tremendously. For the last two nights, I've been able to sleep or to go back to sleep if awakened. It does put me in a dizzy or lightheaded state, but since I take it at night . . that's ok. I think taking it during the day would be difficult. I haven't taken any of my drugs during the day as I am working and would have a hard time if taking any. I really look forward to 6 PM!