Neurontin--who has or has not gained weight?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mare-T, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Mare-T

Mare-T New Member

I just started taking it a week ago. I have read from other posts that some have gained weight. I have battled the weight issue for years in my head. I'm not anorexic, nor bulimic but I do have issues with my weight. I am 5'5 and 118 lbs. Any amount of extra weight I gain I can feel it, which then puts me in a ornary mood. I weigh myself sometimes twice a day. Ok, I'm weird. Anyway, can I hear from any of you who may or may not have gained weight. I am sleeping better with it, tho still have the bad aches and pains...when do those, IF they do, go away? Believe me, I have lived with this pain for years, and if I have to gain weight to make it go away, to me, I'll take the pain.

Hope y'all can understand.

Mare
  2. Nellie2

Nellie2 New Member

I have not gained weight from taking Neurontin, and its been about a month. I notice gaining weight immediately if a medication is the reason. I did gain quite a bit (20 lbs) when I started Flexeril. As for me gaining weight is a celebration. I am usually underweight by about 20 lbs. I am happy to have the extra weight.

Nellie (aka Kathleen)
  3. RedB

RedB New Member

The med has definitely helped with a good portion of my pain. And even more with my aches. It helps me exercise, and it eliminates that "run over by a truck" feeling in the a.m.

I take a really low dose, however, and I felt the effects immediately. Not everyone does, though.

The jury is still out on the weight gain thing. Besides neurontin, I take another pill that causes weight gain. I have lost almost 10 lbs, and have another 10 to go to be back to what I have gained over the last two winters. I am having to eat less and less to do this, but that's okay with me, as long as I can lose, instead of gain. I upped my dosage again on the one med that I think is the culprit, so we will see what happens. I'm still not sure if the weight gain is the medicine, or my own piggishness. I never used to eat like I do now, because I was constantly doing busy work. I have to sit much more now.

Kathy
  4. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

I take 900mg, divided into three daily doses. In fact, during the time I have been on Neurontin, I just happened to have lost over 50 pounds.

Lane