Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by missdiz, Jun 7, 2008.

1. missdiz

missdiz New Member

Wondering if any who have tried neurontin could give me some feedback? I developed some severe pain about 2 weeks ago and they put me on it...not really knowng what it was, but I have been sleeping really well and the "fibro fog" has disapated. There are some who do not want to be on it and I'd like to know the reason. Thanks all
  2. poets

poets Member

I've been on and off Neurontin for years. Now I'm on it again. It can make you gain weight. It also makes me feel a bit foggy. It can cause my vision to blur from time to time. I was on Lyrica, but that was even worse for me, and helped about the same as the Neurontin for the pain, so I switched back to Neurontin just a few days ago. It's the lesser of two evils, I guess. Neutontin did help me sleep a bit better I think.

3. holly49

holly49 New Member

I was on Neurontin for a long period of time. I did gain a lot of weight and it also blurred my vision. I went off it. I tried Lyrica and also felt it blurred my vision. I was not on it long enough to state if it had an effect on my weight. Boy, I wish I could find something to help me lose weight. Having a tough time there. Thanks. Holly
  4. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

I am on Neurontin and it does make me sleep. I was on 400 mgs 3X a day and when I saw the Neurologist she said that does would not even touch my pain so she has me working my way up to 800 mgs 4X a day. RIght not I am still on the 800 3X a day, waiting to get used to that. All I have been doing is sleeping. It is helping my pain a little anyway. I thought it totally took my hand burning away but that showed up again yesterday. I too am gaining weight but who knows if it's from that?? Good luck
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I just saw my rheumatologist last week, as I had been in a painful flair.

One of the options she suggested was Neurontin. Then she looked at my chart, she said that since I did so horribly on Lyrica, I should not go on it.

I had no idea that they were related!

However, if it working for you, HORRAY!!!

We are all so different how we react to medications, supplements,minerals and whatever else is out there!!

Good luck, GA
    [This Message was Edited on 06/07/2008]
  6. LaurieB

LaurieB New Member

Neurontin and Lyrica are nearly identical chemically, according to my PCP.

I take a small dose of Neurontin (small according the PCP but I wonder why they think the answer to EVERYthing is to increase the dosages of ANYthing. I remember a U.S. News article not too long ago that covered the fact that most medications in this country are prescribed at dosages that exceed the required efficacy level.)

I think it helps me sleep but I wonder if it's worth it. Can anything that we cannot stop immediately cold-turkey be worth it if it really isn't helping us a great deal?

Like you, I'd like to know more. My surfing for info on the web hasn't produced much in terms of substantive info from credible sources.
  7. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

and Tramadol (Ultram) and between the 2 of them it usually helps my pain alot. If I'm in a lot of pain from something I overdid I may also take a low dose of vicodin---but that is not a regular everyday dose.

I have gained a lot of weight over the years and wasn't sure what exactly caused it--I also take Effexor ER too. [This Message was Edited on 06/08/2008]
  8. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

9. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I started Neurontin about 6 months ago for nerve pain in my arms and legs. It does quite a good job with that. Luckily, I haven't had any weight gain from it either.

I haven't found that it does anything for my FM pain though. I still need heavy hitters for that.

10. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

300 mg. is actually quite a low dose. I'm on 1200 mg and my mother is on 1800 mg, and we've both had a lot of pain relief. Hers is more nerve pain, mine is more muscle, but we've both had a good response. Maybe a higher dose would help your FM pain?

Layla1954 (Lee Ann)
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

Nice to see all of this info. Sry, I did not see this thread. I was also wondering about neurontin as I just started out on it.

Thanks for all the info.

12. missdiz

missdiz New Member

Thanks everyone for your replys. I am going to finish this initial dose and see how it goes. I sure don't need to gain anymore weight, but will have to weigh the pros and cons. I love to cook and bake so need I say more :)

It is really nice not having the "fog" in the morning!!

Hugs to all