Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelly11, Jul 16, 2008.

1. shelly11

shelly11 New Member

Has anyone taken neurontin for the pain? it seems my back pain is getting worse, which is a side effect of it. i actually take the generic for it.
  2. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

I've been taking Neurontin (gabapentin) for several years and it helps my skin and shooting nerve pain. I can tolerate a 300mg dose and still work but if I take 600mg at one time or take it will Xanax, it will make me sleepy. Otherwise, I think it's a good medication.

3. lyzzy

lyzzy New Member

I have been taking it for quite a while, the generic. I take 600 mg 3 times a day, and if I am in a flare i raise it to 900 mg 3 x a day. It works well for me.
  4. msSusan

msSusan Member

I had read somewhere that some people notice difference between neurontin and gabapentin(generic neurontin).

They stated that they felt better on neurontin. Less side affects and strange pain? I'm not sure if active/inactive ingredients would be the difference.

I'm having issues with lose dose of gabapentin and was wondering if anyone had any further info. on this subject.

I've been getting mouth irritations very easily since starting/stopping gabapentin. Burning sensations.

I also developed headache "zings" (I already have daily headaches) within a few days.

[This Message was Edited on 07/23/2008]
  5. akandmk

akandmk New Member

I've been on it for about 4 months now and it was working great for the nerve pain. But it isn't working that great right now. neurontin is one of those drugs that even if you increase the dosage that doesn't mean it is going to work better. Are you on anything else for the pain? I'm taking tramadol, two pills every four hours and it has helped alot.
  6. 4peas

4peas New Member

"it seems my back pain is getting worse, which is a side effect of it."

Really? I'd never heard that. I guess everyone is different with their reactions. I've been on about 2 weeks now, and my back pain from degenerative disc problems is MUCH better.

I started on 100mg once a day at bedtime, I'm up to 400mg 3 times a day and am working up to 600mg 3 times a day, which is what my dr. considers the minimum dose to help with fibro pain.
  7. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I used to take it many years ago andf all it did was make me fatter,never did a thing for pain.
    I needed a narcotic for pain!I tried everything else by that time.Eventually I did get a painkiller that helped me.A few years later I developed sciatica(from my DDD).I was put on Lyrica.Thsi for me works wonders for my sciatica.Of course I did gain more weight(ugh!) but it works like a charm for my legs/butt pain. It does not help my fibromyalgia pain but after I was on it for a year,the FDA approved it for FM.
  8. jmq

jmq New Member

three years ago....and had a very interesting reaction. I have FM and that is what they rx for me. After gradually increasing the dosage...I started looooving it. almost toooo much. I felt like I was walking on clouds, everything made me giggle. I was driving in rush hour traffic on a busy city highway laughing my butt off feeling like I was riding a roller coaster! No sh...t! I would slowely glide into my office with a silly smile and told my boss how funny driving to work was. She knew my illness and sat me down and called my husband. She asked him to take me back to the dr. before I am allowed to drive to work again. I was laughing so hard my eyes were tearing. I have to tell was great being that looped!!!!Needless to say, the dr. took me off of it since I had to work....boooooo. I do not remember the pain going away....I just remember not giving a sh.t about it. I wonder if Lyrica will effect me the same way. I am willing to try it now because I ended up having to stop working that year. I just have to get off the Cymbalta I am on first. I do not want to keep piling in the pills to this already messed up brain.

hope this made sense...
  9. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

I've been on gabapentin for over a year and it's the one medication that has helped me more than anything else. I take 1200 mg a day, not that high a dose but it makes a big difference.

Last week I missed my bedtime dose because I left it downstairs and didn't want to go back down and get it. I thought missing one dose wouldn't matter much, but boy WAS I WRONG!!!! The next morning I hurt worse that I have in AGES. I will NOT be skipping a dose again!!!
  10. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

seems to be working well for me.........
  11. Honora88

Honora88 Member

I felt depressed on it as well.
  12. shelly11

shelly11 New Member

thanx everyone for replying, appreciate it.