NEURONTON experiences...anybody use for sleep????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judywhit, Feb 19, 2003.

1. judywhit

judywhit New Member

doc just gave Neuronton for sleep proplems. My body is soooo wierd that it actually jerks me (off the bed)when my body tries to go into stage 4 sleep. So tired of this. I really feel that I could heal if I could get some quality sleep. Please share any and all your experiences with this drug. Going on it for just one month. if no help Im off it.
    thanks guys,
    Judy
  2. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

I take Neurontin, 300mg at night for restless legs syndrome. It cured that problem, but I still don't sleep very well. Good luck, Dena
  3. crochetlvr

crochetlvr New Member

Judy, I have been on neurontin since the middle of Dec. I started on an am and pm dose of 100mg for two weeks then I went to 200mg twice daily, then the end of Jan the dosage increased to 300mg twice daily for two weeks and I am now on 600mg twice daily. I really think that it is working. I used to take vicodin 5/500, 40 tablets every 2 weeks and now I hardly take any at all. I was really hesitant to try this, but everyone that I have spoken with who takes it has had imporvement.
    Good Luck,
    Debbie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/19/2003]
  4. pamela

pamela New Member

I tried it for a month for pain and it helped but I have multiple chemical reactions to most meds. It gave me temple headaches and body aches and shooting pains. THen the doctor tried me on Gabitril. Wow...worse!!! I jerked myself out of sleep and had horrid nightmares. Also on the Neurontin I had real vivid dreams but I slept great. But woke up with real bad aches and pains. If you read the insert that goes with newurontin its real informative. You can also look it up on the net. Anyway, it will probably work on you, but me...i'm a no win case. Try it...give it a chance. Everyone is different. Soft Hugs...Pamela
  5. KarenL47520

KarenL47520 New Member

sleep. I have to take something to help me get to sleep but I fight all the time while I am sleeping. Times when I have been in the hospital I made sure it was noted on my chart DO NOT TOUCH ME WHEN I AM ALSEEP, OTHERWISE I WILL COME UP SWINGING. Seriously, I go into a fight mode. But as far as sleeping, I don't get any restful sleep, I wrestle, throw arms and legs all night, kick, slap, and hit poor John. He is a very sound sleeper, otherwise I don't know how he could stand it.

My late husband forced me to sleep in the other bedroom because of how I am. He was a very light sleeper and he said he couldn't get any rest if I was in bed with him. He used to refer to me as the Tazamen devil.
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My experience was exactly the same as Pamela's. I am now going though he** trying to get off Neurontin,after being on it for only six weeks. It is causing a rebound of headaches and insomnia, much worse than before I took it. I had slowly worked up to 700 mgs. daily, in 3 divded doses, and have now worked back down to 200 mgs. at bedtime.I am still having awful pain and stiffness, only now it is from lack of sleep, where before it was caused by the drug.
    I hope it works better for you than it did for me. I had high hopes for it, since I have signs that my already confirmed brain damage is getting worse (can't spell anymore, grind my teeth all the time, have short episodes of missing time, can't remember what I've just been told, can't control my temper,etc.). The teeth grinding and the temper control problem are esp. signs of brain damage, and I believe Neurontin is one of only a couple drugs that have been shown to reverse this.
    Good luck, Klutzo
  7. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I take 600mg of Neurontin ... one in the AM & one in the PM. Interesting that some of us take it for RLS ... apparently I run in my sleep. I take Ambien for sleep, and with that in combo with the Neurontin I pretty much pass out at bedtime.

I've also noticed that I have muscle spasms & jerky movements ... this happened when I was on Wellbutrin, but stopped when I went off it ... now it's back -- due to the Neurontin??

Jan ^v^
  8. judywhit

judywhit New Member

bumping this to the top. Got plenty of meds for pain relief need the sleep. This Neurontin sounds very "iffy" for sleep.
  9. kgg

kgg New Member

I take it for sleep. Sometimes I have to use ambien with it to fall asleep but not all the time. I like it better than benadryl and the side effects I had with long term use. Hope it helps you sleep better.
  10. healing

healing New Member

Judy, there have been lots of posts on neurontin -- you might do a search for them and read them; there's a lot of information on this forum about it.

I take 300 mg in a.m., 800 mg around 7:30 pm, and another 300 at bedtime. It helps me sleep and it decreases my pain. Couldn't be happier with it.
  11. pearls

pearls New Member

I take one 300MG Neurontin in the morning, one at lunch time, and three with dinner, for a total of 1,500MG per day. I don't experience any of the jerky movements described by some of the others in this thread. I also take 10MG Ambien at bedtime. My sleep, which was really terrible, is now much better, though I could still use more of it - and I'm sure, better quality sleep. I also have mild sleep apnea, but have not gone in for my second test yet. In general, it looks like I've had a good experience with Neurontin.

-Pearl
  12. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I get more relief from Neurontin, with fewer side effects than just about any other medication that I have tried. One important thing is to make sure that your doctor starts you off SLOWLY and gradually increases your dosage until you are taking the best amount for your system to deal with. I started on 100mg at bedtime, and very slowly worked my way up to 300mg three times a day. Each of us is very different chemically. Many people on this board take Ambien to sleep. I will stay awake for the next two days if I take it. Someone suggested that you do a search for Neurontin. That is probably a very good idea, as I know it has been discussed often and at great length. I do hope it works for you.
    Kathryn
  13. PAT

PAT New Member

I just weaned myself off of it,and I think I did it too quickly. I feel like my body is going crazy, with hot flashes, breaking out in goose bumps, crazy mood swings, and NO SLEEP.
    I may just start taking the bedtime dose again, and see if I can get back to sleep. I will say that I was sleeping better when I took it.
    I got off of it, because I felt so hungry all the time, I woke up with worse pain in the a.m., and I had periods during the day when I felt like I just woke up and didn't know what I had been doing.
    I am so, so frustrated right now over meds. You find one that works for one thing, but it messes up 10 others. For me, since I have 5 kids, getting sleep is about the most important thing in my life. I can get through a painful day, but sleep deprivation makes Mommy not so fun to deal with, when I can't even get a Pre-School puzzle together!!
    I see mixed reviews with Neurontin, and I just don't know yet what I'm going to do. Patti G
  14. dolphinmk

dolphinmk New Member

I was just put on this also, 300mg at nite to sleep. been taking it for two nites now and last nite got a severe migrane about a half hour after taking it. then had to take my migrane med axert and lie down with an ice pack at 11pm. i woke up at 3:30am and could not go back to sleep. soooo.....i am not sure if this is going to work or not. was on flexril, but only worked for about 2-3 weeks.
  15. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I had to start off very slow, actually took out of capsule to go to 50mg. I went off it a couple times but found that the advanatages out weighed the disadvantages. It helped with my stinging and stabbing,restless leg,cognitive memory somewhat, what did I just say, oh, yes memory actually before I could hardly complete a sentence. It helped in the beginning for sleep, not much anymore, Dr. wants me to up med but can`t afford. Also it causes me severe constipation,I mean severe. Without going into details I litterally have to take care of this problem myself,hrs worth, speaking of low temps mine drops to 91 0r 92 after my experiences with the bowels. Have tryed just about everyyhing to help that situation. Can`t remember right now the other things it helps. Gee--guess it is time to up the dose.
  16. judywhit

judywhit New Member

and each morning I wake up with a terrible headache too! sleep was not good. this med has sooooooo many side effects including pancreatic cancer (in rats of course)that I do not think I will continue it. I am going on the tried and true elivil (spelling?????) does cause weight gain but I have been on it before and slept like a baby and pain went away. Thanks for all the replies.
  17. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I am going on elivil! Neuronton gave me headaches. I only lasted on them for two days! with all my other symptoms I can't deal with headaches too.

[This Message was Edited on 02/21/2003]
  18. Kimba

Kimba New Member

Judy,

I am on Neuronton, but it is for pain not sleep. The jerking will slow down soon, most of the side effects wear off after a month or so, at least they did for me.

I went on Neuronton and Topamax together and I had the worst side effects, I lost my memory, hands shook, it was horrible.

You might want to try something Soma, it works well for me when I really can't get to sleep.