Neuropathy Pain/Effexor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pam_d, Jul 2, 2006.

1. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Just wanted to mention to those here with Diabetic Neuropathy, or any neuropathic pain---and I know there are those here who have mentioned they have this---that my husband finally decided (at his endocrinologist's suggestion) to break down and try Effexor, an AD which also seems to work for neuropathy. Cymbalta is another one which also seems to have this effect, and there may be others.

What a night and day difference! For at least ten years my husband has complained about sore and tingly feet---felt like they were burning. He felt, when he woke up in the morning, like he'd been walking twenty miles overnight.

Anyway, this all went away within the first 48 hours of using Effexor. He & his doctor are trying to use a large enough dosage to be effective, yet as low as possible to still have the same effect. This may yet be tweeked...

I think he's getting a therapeutic effect depression-wise, too. He said never actually FELT depressed, yet as we all know here, living with chronic pain day in and day out can certainly be depressing. Plus with my recent cancer dx, he's had more on his plate than usual...so I think the Effexor helps with all that, too.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this for those with neuropathy. BTW, my hubby had tried months of high-dose Alpha-Lipoiec Acid, rumored to help neuropathy, had tried to get into neuropathy drug trials before, all to no avail. But the Effexor really did the trick and FAST.

Hugs,
    Pam
  2. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I was wondering if he had taken it and how it worked, and I just saw your post in another thread.

I'm really happy to hear it is helping him

This is my 8th week on it, and it has really helped with my fibro pain. I hasn't disappeared completely, but there is a huge difference.

Sue in Ontario