Neuropsychological Test to document cognitive issues for disability claim

Discussion in 'The Best Laboratories & Diagnostic Tests' started by MarthaTX, Jul 18, 2013.

1. MarthaTX

MarthaTX Member

I may have to take a neuropsychological test to document my cognitive issues as a part of my appeal for disability insurance benefits. Has anyone taken this sort of test or any other test to document cognitive limitations for a disability insurance claim? Does anyone know of any neurologists in the Dallas area with experience administering this test specifically for cfs/fm patients?
  2. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Hi Martha,

I have not personally had neuropsych testing but have talked to many patients who have. I also do not know anyone in the Dallas area but hope someone else here can help you with that.

Your cognitive issues will usually show up easily during neuropsych testing because the testing is long and designed to catch all variety of cognitive issue problems, even the ones we sometimes think we are good at hiding.

One important thing I hear time and again from patients who have undergone neuropsych testing is to make sure and ask to take breaks, especially if you have ME or CFS. You do not have to go at the pace of the practitioner. You can set the pace to increments you feel most comfortable in. This can help lessen the effects of any post neurological exhaustion that may occur after completing the testing.

Even if you do not have a practitioner who is knowledgeable in ME, CFS, or FM these tests are so specific to catching brain dysfunction that I would not worry about whether or not your liabilities will become apparent. The brain dysfunction is not like the physical dysfunctions we have and experience that most often are invisible and nearly impossible for doctors to detect. I hope your testing goes well and that you will win your disability case.

All the best to you - Michele
  3. MarthaTX

MarthaTX Member

Michele--Thank you very much for your encouragement and for the info you've shared.
  4. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

Hi Michelle,

I have a question about your answer re. taking rest periods during the testing. I understand that the point of taking rests is so one won't 'crash' and be really sick as a result of taking the test. But doesn't taking rest periods and 'going slow' sort of undermine the test? My understanding of ME is that 'pushing oneself' leads to a lowering in functional capability (physical plus cognitive.) Surely one wants to demonstrate this problem for a disability claim? An employer is not going to let you take little rests all day long...so if you get foggy, slow, confused etc when you push yourself, then this is what you need to demonstrate on a test...? I myself can do some cognitive work quite well, but I cannot do it 8 hours straight as I'd need to in a workplace. I get more and more foggy as I get more fatigued. So I would not rest/go slow on cognitive testing since this is not what the workplace situ would be. Maybe I am muddled about this, but I just thought that maybe testing for a disability claim needs to reflect how one would actually (not) function in the workplace?
    TigerLilea likes this.