Neurotin anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brit_17759, Sep 1, 2005.

1. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

Earlier this morning I was chatting with my sister who is a nurse in the UK. And she mentioned she had been doing some research on drugs for FM and came across neurotin and that it is supposed to help. Has anyone used this, and if so did you find it helped and were there any side effects?

I have just tried Cesmet and had terrible side effects, so had to stop using them. So am really wary now about taking anything.

I am back at the pain clinic in two weeks, and don't want the doctor to start giving me anything else that won't work and or give me awful side effects.

thanks
    hugs,
    brit

2. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

I used Nuerotin and I can't say that it helped much. I used it for about 6 weeks and found an unwanted side effect; weight gain. Just what I needed. I take others that have made me gain weight so I figured if it is not getting rid of the pain, why use it.

But by all means try it, maybe you will get more reflief.

Good luck.

Hugs,
    Francey
  3. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Hi Brit:

I have taken Neurontin for about 8 months. I take 330 mg in the morning and 600 mg in the evening which is still a fairly low dose. I can't say that I got a lot of relief rom it. I still take Oxycontin 20 mg twice a day and Vicoden for breakthrough and Soma and I'm still in pain. Some people swear by Neurontin though, soit may well be worth a try. Good luck.

M J
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and it works in the middle of my back where I have compressed discs.It seems to target nerve pain.My Vicodin seems to work on the fibro.Hope this helps.LInda
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

Neurontin is helpful for me - it by all means is not a pain pill but it helps by not letting the nerves tell the brain there is pain. It does not take it all away but I do hurt worse if I stop it a while.

I have not had weight gain - I think drugs affect everyone different.

Give it a try if you think it may help.

Kelly
  6. heartinheaven

heartinheaven New Member

though it does not come close to relieving all the pain, it works well with my other pain meds. Also, it does not make me sleepy but it allows me to stay asleep if I can get to sleep and to me that is a life saver!
  7. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

everyone for your replies, all of which are helpful and appreciated. I will discuss the use of neurotin and the vicodin with my doctor when I see him in a couple of weeks.

thanks again
    hugs,
    brit
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I have been on Neurotin, 3 x day, for a couple years now.

When I first started it, I could tell a definite difference in my pain level - it really helps!!

Lortab and other pain meds do nothing for my fibro pain; however, Neurotin and Cymbalta do!!

I have not had any side effects from either!

Janet