Neurotin Users

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I've been taking Neurotin 2-3 times a day at 200 mg. It doesn't seem to be helping me like it used to. I know my pharmacy recently changed generic brands so I don't know if that has anything to do with this.

I've always called Neurotin my "brain pill" but it doesn't seem to be working.

I have an appt with my dr. on Aug 11th

Any ideas on this?

Someone told me they switched from Neurotin to Lyrica--any iideas on that one?

Thanks for your time.
  2. petsrme

petsrme Member

Wish I could help you. I took it years ago. It made me sleepy. The doctor stopped prescribing it for me since it didn't help during the day. Just made me drowsy.

I do know that I have heard that generic brands can be different. My doctor said that sometimes they are not as effective as the name brand and that different generics do have different results. I didn't know this. I thought generics were exactly the same but he was adamant that they are not. Let your doctor know and maybe you can go to a different pharmacy that has the one you need.
  3. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

beadlady,

I had taken generic neurontin a couple of years ago. I thought that I was going to have a nervous breakdown. I could not think straight and became manic, so I had to slowly wean off, even though I was not on them a long time.

That is how my chemistry works with brain chemical drugs. I have learned this through trial and error. I cannot take antidepressants either. Doc says that I am super sensitive.

At the moment I take 1mg. of Lexapro. I was Rx.'d 2mg. I dissolve 1/2 tablet ( 5mg.) in 5 ounces of distilled water, being 1 ounce of Lexapro is in 1 ounce of liquid concoction.

I drink 1 ounce at present time but was drinking 2 ounces, Rx.d by my Psych. This was Rx.'d by my Psych but he doesn't know that I am weaning off. I see him today.

I would like to take SAMe again, if I can afford it. Others here on the board are taking Lexapro and of course the average dose is 10 to 20mg. Obviously it was too much for me. My Psych. says that he has other Pt.'s that are considered sensitive as myself. He finds that the low dose works well with us E.T.'s(LOL).

Other Dr.'s cannot comprehend this. That is why I believe these "brain drugs" should be Rx.'d by Psych.'s instead of PCP's and Rheumys. Also Psych.'s can help if you are applying for SSDI. He is knowledgeable and consults me with alternatives/supplements.

As far as the generics go--I think most of them suck. I had heard that generics only have to have 80 percent of the active ingredient to be passed by FDA. And probably less because the FDA is another crooked Govt. Agency. Money talks and bullshit walks with these high officials. Our country has become so greedy.

I got into some trouble almost 3 years ago, from "plain" oxycodone (no buffers, and not timed release). The generic brand name was (Ethex ? on spelling), little orange pills that did not work for my pain. But most Dr.'s are not intelligent enough to believe this. I had also tried MS contin,(morphine sulfate--timed release), by same generic Company (Ethex?[spelling]). It did nothing. Now I make sure that I do not get that brand.

My fibro-buddie here in AZ, said that ROCHE Name Brand 5mg. Valium works for her but had to get a script for 10mg., Valium(diazepam),due to her insurance would only pay for generic when it is available. She is quite blessed that her Dr. believed her. Most Dr.'s would not believe this and pooh on you is their attitude towards you/us.

They usually slowly elevate neurontin to a therapeutic level. 200mg x 3 is not that high to my understanding. Talk to your Dr. and see if that is what he is doing. There is a lot of info. out there on the web. What amount may work for one but not another is common especially with our DD.

Also I have noticed in myself, that med's that have worked differently on me before, works another way now. With our DD, we change like a yoyo, one of the main change that comes and goes is our absorption or malabsorption.

Just like our pain, can change from one moment to the next, leaving us wondering what did "I" do or didn't do for this pain to be gone one minute and escalate in another minute.

And they think alcoholics have a disease that is baffling. What can be more baffling than our DD's?

I apologize for my rambling, having fibro fog today and don't know how to come up with brief answers because my mind is somewhat racing. Been up since 5am and went to sleep at about midnight. Time for a nap, Psych. Appt. is 3:15pm, and have to take the expressway and it is about an hour drive. Nap, then Bath is on my agenda before Appt.

Love and hugs,

Abbey
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

for your replies--it is appredated.