Neurotoxin info, update please.........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Nov 28, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Ok, I was across the state visiting family & got the info on the neurotoxin ciguatoxin, has anyone had time or oppty yet to talk to Dr about this????

Just wondering.

I am the only one who thinks this may be a breakthrough?

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Ok, I was across the state visiting family & got the info on the neurotoxin ciguatoxin, has anyone had time or oppty yet to talk to Dr about this????

Just wondering.

I am the only one who thinks this may be a breakthrough?

Jaci
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

... and wondered whether the persons tested for the toxin where all Japanese - given that the professor is Japanese, and the Japanese eat more fish (and more kinds of fish) than the average European/American. Does anyone know: What I mean is: could it be that Japanese PWCs have this fish toxin as a significant causal factor, but perhaps not all of us?

Happy Thanksgiving (my first)
    Susanne
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Ciguatoxin--is caused by dinoflagellites...small critters responsible for tidal phenomena...such a red tides, etc. The toxicity in fish works its way up the food chain to the higher orders--of fish which are consumed by man. These outbreaks are not confined to Japan, but occur worldwide, Florida, and Australia are some examples. There are many other toxins affecting fish, shellfish, etc., who contribute to gastro intestinal illness, and neurotoxic illeness in man.
    I don't think this is a huge break through, but very interesting reading. Acute symptoms usually manifest themselves after ingestion--and can be life threatening. There are said to be chronic exposures which have similar symptoms to these disorders. I have a great PDF file of 90 pages, if you are interested in investigating this in detail. You can email me at jkrather@ltex.net
    that is a "lower case L in front of tex" I'll be happy to send it to you.
    Karen
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Yes, I got FMS after I moved to Florida and had consumed many of our famours Grouper sandwiches down here. (Grouper is one of the fish most likely to have the toxin).
    However, I came from the northern midwest, where I know many, many people who never, ever eat any sort of fish, let alone the warm-water reef fish that carry this illness. And, there are plenty of cases of FMS up there in the land-locked north too.
    I would need a further explanation also of how men eating fish aren't getting it, while so many women are. Also, kids down here love Grouper sandwiches. Why aren't they getting sick, as small as they are?
    I can't argue with the research, but it has just confused me, because it doesn't seem to make sense.
    Klutzo
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I thought about it some more and think I may be able to answer my own question in the above post.
    I think this may be just another case where a population that eats tons of fish (the Japanese) have all been exposed to the toxin at one time or another, but their immune systems kept it in check.
    Then some of them got CFS and their immunity was compromised to the point that the ciguatoxin was able to gain strength and cause problems.
    This discovery may just be one more of the possible opportunistic infections that can result when whatever it is that causes CFS gets going to work on a person's immune system.
    This still leaves the original cause of the CFS a mystery.
    Klutzo