Neurotransmitters, diet and supplements

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Aug 21, 2003.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

An article was published in The Daily Mirror in the UK recently, I've just found info about this on a ME/CFS site.

Article by Californian nutritionist Psychotherapist Julia Ross she says:

Some people can repair their emotional chemistry through diet alone and you can correct malfunctions in as little as 24 hours.

SEROTONIN
    Brains natural antidepressant.
    If you are deficient: You feel depressed, negative, fearful anxious, and suffer sleep problems.

Brain nutrient programme. Serotonin is made from an amino acid called tryptophan found in high protein foods, chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon, kidney beans, oats, lentils, chickpeas, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. You should eat vitamin C rich foods citrus, kiwi, blackcurrants and this converts tryptophan to serotonin. Avoid caffeine as inhibits the production of serotonin.
    Boosting serotinin by diet alone takes about 4 mounts. If you add a tryptophan or 5-HTP supplement your mood will transform within 24 hrs. She has seen clients dramatically improve in as little as 15 mins.

GABA
    If you are deficient: You feel stressed, over whelmed and burnt out.

Brain nutrient programme: GABA is made from amino acids glutamine and glutamic acid found in lamb, chicken, beans, grains, nuts, and seeds. GABA neutralises the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline. Prolonged stress depletes GABA supplies. Avoid caffeine, sugar, dont skip meals as this upsets blood sugar and increases stress. This depletes vital brain chemical reserves. Avoid margarine, sunflower, and corn oil they go off quickly, when this happens they can damage the brain cells and interfere with neurotransmitter function. Must eat enough good brain fat because brain consists of 60% fat. Eat small amount fat every day (about teaspoon) including olive oil, milk and butter. Butter very good as packed with vitamins minerals and amino acids and contains butyrate. This fatty acid is used by the brain and helps make GABA.
    The right diet will build up your GABA stores in two weeks. Also GABA supplement can give results in 30 mins (she says).

ENDORPHINS
    Brains natural painkiller.
    If difficient you feel weepy, over sensitive and have a low pain threshold.

Brain nutrient prog: Constant supply of animal protein, meat, fish, eggs. The B vitamins found in wheatgerm, apricots, dates, and brown rice is good to restore endorphin function also magnesium found in wholemeal bread. Avoid caffine.
    You CANT boost endorphins without adjusting what you eat. expect to see results within a month. Supplements are not needed execpt for vegetarians who will struggle to get all 15 amino acids.

CATECHOLAMINES
    Brains natural stimulant.
    If you are deficent you feel flat and lethargic

Catecholamines are made from amino acid tyrosine found in eggs, beef, fish, beans, nuts, cheese, and seeds. Fats such as omega 3 in fish can increase your Catecholamines by 40%
    Avoid low calorie diets that lack protein and fat. Avoid white carbohydrates such as white rice and white bread, this triggers the release of insulin which diverts tyrosine into you muscles and away from the brain. Vit D converts tyrosine into catecholamines, eat plenty of fish, milk and yoghurt.
    Expect to see improvement in your mood within a week. You can use a Tyrosine supplement and quicker results.

Thought some of you might like some info on dietary sources as well as the supplements themselves.

Cheers

Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 08/21/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2003]
  2. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Thanx!
    peace.ez
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

in explaining all of this so when I found this it just made more fall into place for me. No chance of getting neurontin or similar in the UK, have lots of problems that would seemingly respond to that, so thought I'd start with GABA and it works!!! For the first time in years I coped in a situation with too much sensory overload and my body's reaction was no where near as bad.

Joy

Love

Tansy
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

GABA has a well-deserved reputation in Naturopathy as a "chill pill". I have been taking the maximum dose for several years now, and it helped prevent migraines as well as calming me down in all but the most "meltdown" situations. I still have meltdowns when lots of little stressors add up, but that is another problem (menopause, I think...but Madwolf says low cortisol...we'll see)
    When I had Neurotransmitter testing recently, GABA was the only result that was above normal. I asked my doc if I should lower my dose because of the result, and he said no, that it is good to have it high.
    Klutzo
  5. pixipip

pixipip New Member

I got julia ross's book "the diet cure" that where i first learned of amino's, I'm actively seeking somone in my area who can help me find out what i need to take and in what quantities. Her books great by the way, it make perfect sence to me. Thanks for taking the time to write out all the explanations!

Love and Light,
    Jacqui.
    Ps
    Where abouts in Uk are you, I'm in Clethorpes, North East Lincs.[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2003]
  6. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

this info is so concise and easy to understand.

i can see i need gaba asap !

also easy to see why nutritionist has nagged me to eat eggs and animal protein, i was a veggie for approx 30 years and now i think ihad denied my body the nutrients it needed inadvertently .

i have never heard of the last ones, catecholaimes.....
    so much to learn and so little brain to learn it with :-}

love,pinkquartz
  7. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Thank you for this valuable easy to follow information.

I have printed this off for reference & my ever expanding files.

Love Pat.
  8. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Hi Tansy,

Thanks for posting this interesting info.
    I have been on a strict diet for 8 months eating such things as listed above exceptions are: dairy products, nuts & seeds. I'm intolerant to them...they give me the worst headache, etc. Anyway, I have been eating such things 3 meals everyday for 8 months and yet I still need the supplementation to feel good. I would like to cut back on supplements. How come these foods alone aren't enough for me do you suppose?

Also I do not use white flour, sugar, caffiene, etc. I drink lots of water and take sea salt.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    CelticLadee
  9. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

I saw a nutritionalist and was tested to see what I was lacking. She asked me if I was a red meat eater, (sounds like a wolf)! I was ready for the "cut out the red meat" lecture and I do crave big steaks. She instead told me to eat more because I needed the amino acids. She also put me on 5-HTP for better sleep and she said it would help with my perception of pain. I do feel better.
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

Tried over and over again to use diet as main source of nutrients but always end up back on comprehensive supps programme again. Clearly many of us need this and I think the reasons are many. Poor digestion and absorption, restricted diet(allergies/intolerances), pathogens, toxins, hypercoagulation, ++++. Looking forward to the day I can ease back on them again. Diet is very important but for so many of us more help is needed. My diet, like yours, should be providing all the precurssors for our neurotransmitters but clearly it is not

I was amazed at the effects of GABA, alongside the hydrocortone it's made a difference, subtle admittedly but then any small improvement makes for better quality of life and that in itself aids the healing process. What's more the benfits were so quick, usually it takes some time to benefit from any supp or alternative remedy.

So glad you found this helpful. It was Klutzo who got me researching this area. Living in the UK I knew I'd have to sort it out for myself so that's how I came across this, it's the easiest to understand relevant info I've come across so far.

Love

Tansy

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good info.

Love, Mikie
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

is called neurotransmitter testing! That's all.
    You will not find any conventional doctor who knows about this, so don't waste your time. The one exception would be Endocrinologists who will do a 24 hr. urine collection for catecholamines....but as with most conventional tests, this will most likely be normal. You may have very low levels at crucial times, and higher than normal at others and thus end up with normal 24 hr. results.
    You must see a holistic doc for this more accurate test, one who has many fibro patients and has been trained in this area.
    NeuroScience is the company that makes the test kit, #9012 for Neurotransmitters. Their phone is 715-755-3995 and they have a website too.
    Klutzo
  13. pixipip

pixipip New Member

I've been looking into this for myself and Your post reminded me that I have Julia Ross's book, I looked back through it (haven't looked at it for about 2 years) and found I already have all I need to know, including how to find a practitioner here in the UK, what a plonker ey! LOL.
    I am truely grateful, I'll post when I get to see someone.
    Bye for now,
    Love & Light,
    Jacqui.
  14. tansy

tansy New Member

and therapists in the UK, Jacqui please do let us know who you see, and how you rate them. It would be interesting for everyone here to see how this theory is put into practice. I'm already feeling the benefits of GABA, 5HTP didn't help much before but I'm now taking a little again at night, l-tryrosine made me feel unwell each time I tried it so I'll leave that alone for now.

We seem to have lots making claims about successful treatments but only a small number that deliver the goods. Bit like everything else in the UK these day.

Just posted about a book on circadian cylces. This explains a lot about diet, amino acids, and the time of day we should eat proteins and carbs.

The more one reads around this the more one understands why a high protein diet helps so many of us.

Love

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2003]
  15. pixipip

pixipip New Member

I wish I was up to it fisically, LOL.
  16. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Could you explain what you mean by "feeling unwell" with regard to L-tyrosine? I was feeling great on Whey which has a lot of that in it, and suddenly feel awful for the past two days....crying, bitchy, at my wits end. That's not what it did to you, is it?
    Thanks,
    Klutzo
  17. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i just looked up l-tyrosine and noticed its noted as can raise blood pressure......so not good for me or you ?

were you told about this ?

pinkquartz
  18. tansy

tansy New Member

I felt buzzy, really unwell, shakey and like I wanted to cry or bite some one's head off. One of those times to be grateful for living alone. It seems another of those stress factors that makes me feel as though my blood sugar has plummeted and close to the postural/heat intolerance I get though not the dreadful level of nausea and passing out.

Maybe it just stimulates too much for me at the moment so I'm leaving it alone for now. Do take an amino acid complex with my GABA to stop things getting too out of balance and that's ok.

Are you milk intolerant? Any food intolerance can have a nasty efect on the brain; depression, anxiety attacks and more can occur. When my candida gets out of control I react to it as well. Plays absolute havoc with my emotions, it's hell.

You must be so ****** off at this, I'm frequently climbing the walls over the things I need and cannot tolerate or triggers for flare ups that are completely out of my control.

What I wouldn't give for very safe and easy solutions that work for us all.

Love

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2003]
  19. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Thanks Tansy...

That makes a lot of sense. Because of food sensitivities (get bad headaches) I avoid multiple types of foods. I can eat most fresh meat and try to get organic or no hormone when I can. I eat meat or organic eggs 2-3 meals a day. I can eat most vegetables. I can eat cooked oats and a couple types of whole wheat bread. I do eat fruit with meals if it isn't overly ripe and sugary. This is my basic diet. Gets pretty boring day after day but it hurts so bad to eat the wrong thing that I am pretty well boxed in as it were.

GABA has been such a big help to me too. It is amazing how fast it gave me relief from anxiety and seemed to give me more energy to boot. I don't know if it every helped me sleep. What has really helped me sleep - it may seem odd and I don't understand it - but I started 1 grain of Armour Thyroid recently. It has made me more fatigued and when I lay down for my nap I sleep very hard. I sleep very hard at night also now but I still wake up 2-3 times. I've been taking 3 ZMA capsules at night but before I started the thyroid treatment the ZMA wasn't working for the last month. I was having trouble sleeping.

I need to ask Klutzo what she makes of this fatigue from the A.T.

Life is a balancing act right Tansy? Was good of you to post. Hope you are doing well.

CelticLadee
  20. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Yes, Pink, I already knew that L- Tyrosine could raise blood pressure, but was told by my doctor that L-tyrosine and 5-HTP are necessary and are the only way to really raise neurotransmitters when they get as low as mine are. With a mild deficiency, you can use food and avoidance of things that lower them, but not when you are as low as I am. So,I started with Whey, which only has a little bit of L-tyrosine in it, and have monitored my blood pressure closely. So far, there has been no rise in my BP.

Thanks, Tansy. Looks like you had the same problem I am having. Of course, if Madwolf is correct, it could be my taking of thyroid med without Cortef that is causing my symtpoms to get worse. I see the doctor Wednesday, and asking for a cortisol test is first on my list.
    I am also going to ask some hard questions about this neurotransmitter test, like how can I have such overly strong adrenal reactions to everything if I have almost zero epinephrine? And, why did the 24 hr. urine catecholamine test the Endocrinologist did come out perfectly normal? You'd think even the conventional test would have been at least a bit deficient. I need to find out and da*n soon, if this problem is due to cortisol, or neurotransmitters. I'd say I've developed bi-polar disorder, since the symptoms could fit that, except I am way too old for it to suddenly show up now.
    Klutzo

P.S. GABA is not an amino acid in the strictest sense, so you don't need to take the extra amino supplement with it unless you want to. It is more of "an amino-acid-like substance". If you look at lists of aminos, you won't normally see it there....if you do, please let me know!