Neutropenia and low ferretin count - what do they mean

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jana15, Sep 10, 2005.

1. jana15

jana15 New Member

Hi there

I was diagnosed with Fibro/CFS six years ago and for most of that time I have had Neutropenia and a low ferretin count.

Does anyone else have these symptoms? I don't know anything about them and my Dr don't seem to be overly worried even though my ferretin is now down to 7 (apparently it should be between 30 and 300)

Thank you Jana

2. KelB

KelB New Member

I don't know about Neutropenia, but low ferritin is a low iron level. I'd say at 7, it's probably headed for anaemia.

I'm in the UK and this doesn't seem to be viewed as a major problem, unless they can find something suspicious that's causing it. Apparently, 20% of women in the UK are anaemic.

It can cause tiredness, so the doc might consider giving you an iron supplement for a couple of months to see if your symptoms improve.

I've had a low ferritin level for nearly a year now (and I assume longer than that, as I haven't bee tested for it in years). I had three months worth of iron supplement, but they haven't done much good. The docs have eliminated "nasty" probable causes, like bleeding ulcers etc. They don't think it's causing the bulk of my CFS tiredness, so they're not worried about doing anything more about it.
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

for at least 22 yrs. My doctor was concerned at the time and sent me to see 3 different hematologists. The only thing that one suggested was drilling into my breast bone to take out some bone marrow to see if I wasn't producing enough neutrophyls or if I was producing enough and they were being killed by my body.

I asked what he could do about it once he found out and he told me "98% probability we can do nothing" so I decided not to go through with the pain of the procedure.

I wonder if there has been anything new discovered in the past few years re testing and treating.

Pepper
  4. jana15

jana15 New Member

I am going to see the GI on Wednesday so I'll ask some more questions. But i wonder just how many people with Fibro/CFS actually have neutropenia and/or low ferretin count and could it be an indication that someone has this hideous illness.

I know it's not life threatening but I would like to know why my body is doing this and also if it can be treated/cured, because if I can fix this, then I'm one step closer to optimum health.