Nevada man wins trial against Unum Group Paul Revere Life

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ephemera, Jul 5, 2008.

1. ephemera

ephemera New Member

FYI for all those with insurance claims. I saw this amazing news elsewhere. Bloomberg News,July 4, 2008
    by Liane Kufchock, Unum's appeal backfires in Nevada - Jury says $60M must be paid

Unum Group and its Worcester-based Paul Revere Life Insurance Co. were ordered by a Nevada jury to pay $60 million after appealing a 2004 verdict of $11.6 million to a venture capitalist who sued over the denial of a
    disability claim, said a lawyer representing the plaintiff.

A six-member jury reconsidered the evidence and decided June 26 that the punitive damages should be six times what the first jury ordered, lawyer Rick Friedman said.

Clinton Merrick, a former venture capitalist, alleged that the companies cut off benefit payments a year after he submitted a disability claim with a diagnosis of Lyme disease and chronic fatigue syndrome, Friedman said
    yesterday in a phone interview. An appellate court upheld the $1.6 million in compensatory damages that Merrick won in the 2004 trial and the retrial focused only on punitive damages.

'This company has been subjected to unprecedented scrutiny from the courts, the media, and government regulators, all of whom have found it improperly handled claims,' Friedman said. 'The verdicts are going to keep on coming until it changes its ways.'

Jurors ordered Chattanooga, Tenn.-based Unum, which was in the process of acquiring Paul Revere when the claim was denied, to pay $36 million. The jury said Paul Revere should pay $24 million.

Unum will appeal to the 9th U.S. Circuit of Appeals, spokeswoman Mary Clarke Guenther said yesterday in a phone interview. 'We do not believe the verdictwill be sustained,' she said.

2. rachelle01

rachelle01 New Member

Wow-that's great news. My only hope is that Unum has enough money to keep paying me my disability benefits?
  3. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

made a difference. Nevada population/ politicians more sensitive to CFS due to Lake Tahoe.

Also check out this recent story from Good Morning America on ABC about poor handling of disability claims:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5257491&page=1

4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

'This company has been subjected to unprecedented scrutiny from the courts, the media, and government regulators, all of whom have found it improperly handled claims,' Friedman said. 'The verdicts are going to keep on coming until it changes its ways.'~Whoo hoo!

Btw, can someone explain how the $24 mil will probably end up becoming $2 mil? I'm not doubting that, I just don't understand how it works. I was wondering why juries are awarding so many tens of millions to the Plaintiffs in cases like these. It seems excessive but if it gets way whittled down then that makes more sense.

OmG! Caledonia-my your sleep chart shows my general sleeping pattern too!

tee
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2008]
  5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

In my country the powerful psychiatrists who insist that CFS, Lyme disease, Gulf war Syndrome & fibro are imaginary work for major insurance companies who do not want to pay out for these illnesses. This is from:

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200607/cmselect/cmhealth/503/503we79.htm

"The incidence of ME/CFS is rising alarmingly. In order of insurance costs, one of the major medical insurance companies (UNUM Provident) reported in 1993 that ME/CFS came second in the list of the five most expensive chronic conditions, being three places above AIDS. In August 2004 the same company issued a Press Release reporting a 4,000% (four thousand) increase in claims for symptom-based syndromes, including ME/CFS. No other disease category surpassed these rates of increase. UNUM's "CFS Management Plan" states: "UNUM stands to lose millions if we do not move quickly to address this increasing problem". The latest estimate (January 2007) of the economic impact of ME/CFS in the US is between $22-$28.6 billion annually; in Japan it is $10 billion annually."

6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

That speaks volumes for what we are up against. It makes sense too because at least AIDS patients often either are well enough to work due to the drugs they now have or they die within a few years.

We linger in Disability Limbo Land for decades. I can't believe it but I'd rather have AIDS than severe CFS and FMS and it turns out our insurance providers would like that better too. We suffer all the time as much as they do in their last few weeks of life as well.