never catch cold?are you kidding which one have I not caught

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deadtired, Apr 15, 2007.

1. deadtired

deadtired Member

I am amazed at the number of people writing about not catching flus or colds , I'm wondering just why do they think they are sick then? I am either sick with a cold/flu or coming down with one. I do remember the first year I was diagnosed with postviral syndrome I didnt' seem to catch anything and I rememeber others at a support group were complaining that they did. Now the tables are turned.If I wasn't catching things I would probably feel great.
  2. becc

becc New Member

I'm not sure I understand your question.. why do we think we're sick? I know I'm sick because I'm in pain 24 hours a day, have *severely* limited energy (most of the time I am unable to leave the house), neurological problems, severe brain fog, dizziness, low blood pressure etc etc... Catching colds, viruses etc plays no role in ME/CFS or FM, beyond the fact that there seems to be 2 subsets to these illnesses (primarily ME/CFS, I believe) - those who catch colds/viruses frequently and those who never do. The symptoms that make me sick are from ME/CFS and FM, not viruses. The symptoms associated with ME/CFS have no relationship with colds, any more than people with MS, cancer, diabetes etc need to catch a cold to experience the symptoms of their illnesses.

Perhaps if your symptoms are now primarily related to colds/viruses, your problem is no longer PVFS/CFS but a weak immune system that allows you to catch everything going around?

becc
  3. coolma

coolma New Member

there is a proven relationship between pain and a lowered immune system. I researched it because I was getting terrible bronchitis on top of the fibro. Pain actually does have alot to do with your susceptibility to getting colds, flu or anything else. Pain actually lowers the immune system.

I took greens, (green food supplement powder) vit. C, vitamins to build my body back up, but am very careful to stay out of crowded areas and I live in the country and not in a big city on purpose.

Less stress and less germs!!!! I will always be susceptible to other illnesses. Also, if I get wet, I get sick. And, I can't get cold or in cold wind, I will get sick. And it is a constant ongoing process - more greens, more vits. etc. etc. etc. It's a full-time job!

gOOD Luck and I wish you good health to come!
  4. DustyCreekMom

DustyCreekMom New Member

Coolma - what sort of green food? I've looked at green powder stuff but there are so many brands and kinds. I don't know anything about any of them. I'm afraid I'll pay for something that's not any good. I once saw something advertised that said BerryGreen or something and didn't look so awful tasting. Heard of it?

5. deadtired

deadtired Member

Thank you all for the replies and I will look into the grapeseed extract and green food powder. I am still sick with flulike symptoms from something I came down with in the last couple months, plus a strep throat infection in the last month. Unfortunately I have a 10 yr. old daughter who seems to bring home these sick kids to spend the night (the last one was clearly sick and we found out she had strep and we followed suit within the week) . Now I am wondering if I have trouble getting over things or there is just some persistent flu going around. I have these symtoms (drainage, stomach problems ) even after using antibiotics! Try as I might I always seem to run into people sneezing on me! And I have a pretty good diet (vegetarian) but the problem here is getting over these bugs!! Thank you for the help. And looking back, I had year of the fatique, pain, no energy, etc. that are the classic CFS symptoms, just in the past 5 or so years I seem to catch alot more flus.
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I am a nurse so I am always telling people that one of the best things you can do is wash your hands often and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER touch your eyes, nose or mouth with your bare hands unless you have just scrubbed them and have not touched anything else in between including the faucet handle and public paper towel dispenser. Use a clean part of your sleeve, or a clean tissue to touch your face. This really works. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing since alot of people rub their eyes alot. Everytime I see that I think, "Well, they'll have viral symptoms in about 3 days."
  7. Jordane

Jordane New Member

And one I wouldnt mind being fired from lol.My nose is on a steady drip. And my face hurts from sinus problems.

The pain is enough to wish I could cut parts of me off.I use a cane & envy the ones I see with a little scooter.

Jordane