never ending sore throat anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moab341, Feb 7, 2007.

1. moab341

moab341 New Member

Among the many symptoms I have, one of the most preplexing is this constant sore throat.
    It's at it's worst at night and seems to be better during the day, but it's always there...lurking. Ugh!

Others on here have commented on sore throats, but I want to know is there anyone else who has one all the time?

I see a new Doc the 26th who is suppose to be phenominal with FM.....I am really getting my hopes up.

I just can't help but instinctively feel that I have an infection in my body that just won't go away.
    I cannot believe there is not a common denominator with FM patients. Why can't they find it???

2. yuckie

yuckie New Member

I couldn't believe it when I saw your post on the second page and no responses. A sore throat was my first symptom and has been a constant symptom of my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I also am diagnosed with FM but the sore throat is from CFS, per my doctors. I just wanted you to know you are not alone. I didn't look at your profile but if you haven't been diagnosed with CFS you may want to take a look at symptoms and talk with your doctor. Good luck to you and God Bless.
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

not everyday~ (Thank God)
    but way too much to be normal.
    I have it now and its been a few days again.

Sometimes it hurts real bad to swallow and I even feel it in my ears. ????
    Seems I get it a couple times a month for a few days to a week at a time.
    I gargle with warm salt water and take advil.

Mine is worse in the mornings too. (dry too!)
    I think alot of us have this problem, I've seen it mentioned alot here over the yrs.
    Tho is suppose to be more prominent in CF.
    (I have Fibro too)

Hope this helps some :)
    Tandy
  4. lrgatplay

lrgatplay New Member

This is from a link to Dr. Cheneys about treating CFS.
    barrowinnovations posted the link yesterday.

http://membres.lycos.fr/chrisdel2/association/cheney/cheneyII3.html

He talks about three phases of the disease, the first being the body fighting viruses etc. Thus the sore throat.
    I found this part facinating. Jordan, my son, still has the sore throat everyday too.

I cut & Paste this next part.

A healthy body can protect itself by clearing them out (detoxifying), but the bodies of CFIDS patients have lost the capacity to detoxify. At this point, the RNase-L activity is more normal, but now the toxins themselves are damaging the enzymes the body needs to get rid of the toxins, creating a destructive vicious circle.

[The patient notices the shift. Patients say, "I felt like I had the flu or mono--and then my disease changed. The sore throats went away, the swollen glands got better, the fever came down--but now I'm even sicker. My basic problem now is that I can't think any more. My fatigue is worse than ever." And at this point, 90 percent of patients begin to suffer a lot from pain. Whether patients have pain appears to depend on the type of toxins in their systems. Toxins are also involved in loss of brain function and the severity of the fatigue.

Phase I can last weeks or months, or for some people, years. Phase II can last for a decade--or longer.----end

Hope for better days everyone.
    Lisa
  5. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue New Member

I have had a virtually constant sore throat since childhood when I had chronic ear infections. My ears are itchy and sore most of the time too. I have FMS and take an antihistamine at night when it gets real bad (the throat not the FMS). It also helps me sleep.
  6. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I have a sore throat alot. One of my tonsils stays enlarged. I have always contributed it to sinus when it is sore. Maybe we all have a connection with this???
  7. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

me,too i have lots of sore throat,,and ear aches and i also have cfs/fm ,, gmom,,
  8. ridfibro

ridfibro New Member

Ironically I have an appointment in 3 hours with a doc about a sore throat. I'll ask him these questions and report back.
  9. ILM

ILM New Member

I have chronic/constant sore throat.
    I just posted a few days ago that ice cold ginger ale is great for soothing a sore throat.

When it gets really bad i'll drink one and take 2 motrin.

I also have GERD and I think silent reflux is responsible for a lot of my pain.
  10. jole

jole Member

As another posted, Mucinex is great if the problem is caused by fluid in the ears, etc. I too take Mucinex and it does help. My ears and throat are sore a lot. I think my ears actually bother me more than my throat though because I have gotten used to the sore throat for over 40 years now.
  11. JulieL

JulieL New Member

Moab341,

Yes, I have had a contant sore throat since about 1998 (when I was diagnosed). It feels scatchy, irritated and always there. This may sound weird but I have gotten into a bad habit of trying to touch/sooth my throat by curling my tongue and rubbing along the part that hurts. Now my tongue hurts at times too. I wish it would go away but it always seems to be there. When I look at it in the mirror it is always red. I wonder if it is sinus drainage or something to do with the immune system. I do take a generic brand of sudafed which helps. I can really tell if I don't take the med. I feel you are right by saying it is a common demonimator that definitely goes along with CFS/Fibro.

Good luck with your doctor visit.

juliel
  12. findmind

findmind New Member

I really think these are caused by a virus also, the strep one.

I've heard lysine is very helpful in these sore throat cases.

Try it, you might like it!

findmind
  13. TerryS

TerryS Member

I've had a sore throat every single day since August 2006. It always "aches" (kind of like general body ache), but also often is a raw type of sore.

In 2006 alone, I was been diagnosed now with CFS, FM, MVP,
    primary biliary cirrhosis.

TerryS
  14. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I just went to an Ear Nose Throat Dr. Today.
    I also went to the ER yesterday because I was having trouble breathing which turns out to be related to what else is going on with me.

I have also had chronic congestion for way over a year now. The Dr ran a scope in my nose & down into my throat. He told me I have a very bad sinus infection. He said that my vocal cords are covered with mucus & infection pockets. He gave me a script for a strong antibiotic & a medrol dose pak.

He also told me I have a VERY deviated septum.

He told me if the meds do not work, he may have to do a procedure. He will have to put me to sleep & go in & clean out all my sinus areas & will fix my deviated septum while he is in there.

Please pray the meds work, cause I sure don't want to go under...

Marilyn

15. princessmeeko

princessmeeko New Member

hi there,
    how did you get along with your new doc? i am very jealous if you found a good one.
    Just thought I would post about my experience with a sore throat.
    I was diagnosed FM over 2 years ago, but the throat problems are relatively new, just the past 6 months. However it is constantly there, somedays are better than others but always there. Sometimes it feels like something stuck in my throat , other times it feels red roar, other times so dry it drives me crazy. Also my tongue sometimes feels too big for my mouth..... so there...now i've vented i feel better
  16. moab341

moab341 New Member

Thank you alk for your responses...it's apparently a common symptom for many of us.
    When I went to my MD he said he couldn't see any redness.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm choking...like my air passage is not wide enough, and it's difficult to swallow.
    It's finally better today, but it always seems to come back.

The post on Stage 1 and Stage 2 was particularly interesting. I don't think I'm completely in Stage 2 yet. I have good days, like today. Thanks goodness for those good days!! They give us hope and the strength to carry on another day.

I have not seen this new Rheumy yet..My appt. is the 26th.
    If he is as awesome as I've heard he is you will all have to come here to Indiana!!
    I'd go anywhere if I knew it would help.

I'll certainly keep you posted and ((((((((hugs)))))))) to all of you!!!

I will fill out my profile..I'm pretty new here and will have to hunt and peck until I find it.
    RM
  17. ggks

ggks New Member

I do not have a sore throat, I have a very dry throat. Sometimes at nite, I am awakened with the dry throat and it is so dry and crackey (my word) that I cannot swallow so I go into the bathroom and get a small cup of water to drink. ggks
  18. moab341

moab341 New Member

What's with all the sinus issues we have with FM, and how much does that play into the sore throat.
    I saw an allergist before I was diagnosed thinking I had severe allergies.
    Really, I was a mess with them!

I was clearing my throat all the time, felt like I was choking on flem (gross, I know) and felt tremendous pressure in my ears like I was going to blow up.

I was astonished when the allergist found not one thing that I was allergic to.
  19. PureHeart

PureHeart New Member

Hi

I always had a sore throat (even had my tonsils taken out at 26) until I gave up dairy. Now if I accidentally ingest dairy products the sore throat comes back and I start to get hoarse and croaky.

x
  20. ridfibro

ridfibro New Member

My doc thinks that it is just heavy congestion in my sinuses. So he prescribed a decongestant and antibiotic for 14 days and the decongestant for 1 month.

We'll see how it goes.

Have a great weekend everyone!