NEVER GET A COLD UPREGULATED IMMUNE SYSYTEM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by terrilynnb, Mar 10, 2007.

1. terrilynnb

terrilynnb New Member

I think we are all in agreement that CFS is a wastebasket diagnosis for many different illnesses, probably from different causes and hopefull as many cures or at least treatments. (This is eveident not only form the difference in symptoms but also in the effects that exercise has on some of us. It seems like some people do better ater exercise and some of us are dastically worse.
    I am always surprised when I hear of someone with CFS who says they get frequent colds or sinus infections. I realy was wondering if I might have some type of auto immune illness because some of us are so overly reactive to things that are not at all threats to our body-thus all the sensitivities and allergies. But I have NOT GOTTEN A COLD IN 15 YEARS. I do get frequent sore throats and other symptoms when those around me get colds, but I never get the cold. It seems like the opposite of a weak immune system. anyone else experience this??
    [This Message was Edited on 03/10/2007]
  2. Febricula

Febricula New Member

I never get colds either! It never made sense to me until I had heard of the upregulation of immune systems.

At least there is *one* good side to CFS!

-febricula
  3. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

and the flu...

Hi,

Usually, people with M.E. have such a hyperactive immune system as you said that they don't catch colds or the flu BUT are so run down from having their immune systems working on overdrive that they become more susceptible to bacterial infections like throat, sinus, etc. ones. (wow - what a run on sentence! lol)

I've NEVER had the flu in my life or chicken pox, and I'm 32 and have had M.E. and FM, etc. for well over seven years...all started when I was 21 (according to docs and me). I didn't collapse until I was 25. Since I became full blown sick with M.E. I haven't had a cold either. The day I get one will mean that I'm on the road to "recovery." I won't hold my breath or I'll suffocate! lol

Best,
    LB32 (Leeza)
  4. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

i HAVE another COLD today. Second one in a month. Hope that's a good sign.

Cindy
  5. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i am just like you on this. i have lots of allergies, asthma, and sinus prob, but never get "sick" w colds or flu. before i got cfs i would get sick like normal people and the first 2 years of cfs i was sick constantly, but then for 10 years i never get sick. i have recently been doing better fatigue wise, and guess what? i got the flu!!
    it sounds wierd but i think it is a good sign!

bigmama2
  6. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I have always gotten a cold when my husband has one. Semms against the norm for CFS. Less sinus infections though.
  7. wrthster

wrthster New Member

This is a very interesting post. I am the same, never get colds nor flu. But constant bacterial infections. Does anyone know of treaments that actually downregulate the immune system instead of upregulate? We always here about stimulating the immune system, but not downregulating it?
  8. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I could only wish I never got a cold, lol. I have to say I have exactly the opposite problem, I have a very depressed immune system. I catch everything that goes around, and a simple cold for me usually ends up being bad. When I get a cold, I run a high fever (up to 102 degrees) and lately I end up with bronchitis if I get a cold, which is what I'm currently battling with. It's very upsetting because I'm about to graduate with my nursing degree, and I'm constantly exposed to various bugs that are going around. I don't know what I can do to avoid getting sick. I wash my hands like crazy and try to avoid touching my face, but I still get everything.

I joke around that my 5-year old has a better immune system than I do, and it's true. He was recently sick with the same thing I have, but he ran a low-grade fever for a day or so, and it turned into a simple cold. Mine, I ran a fever of 101 to 102 for the first day, then a low-grade fever for 3 days after that, and then bronchitis. Yikes!

Anyway, I don't know what to say besides that maybe it's a blessing in disguise. But it definitely sounds like your immune system has gone haywire...it's OVERprotecting you, and that's probably contributing to many of your ME/CFS symptoms.

Hugs,
    Kim
  9. terrilynnb

terrilynnb New Member

I think just the fact that we all differ in this way is more proof that CFS is not one illness, but many unknown illnesses lumped inot a simgle diagnosis.
  10. romalaw

romalaw Member

I never get colds or flu anymore either,get sore throat and tongue when I'm flaring. Had horrible flu like symptoms first couple of years though. Also, I suffered from hayfever for years before CFS. I no longer get the classic symptoms of sneezing, runny nose and watery eyes, it seems to manifest differently and I have other more severe allergic reactions to many things. Strange, it does make me wonder what's going on with my immune system.
  11. app5775

app5775 New Member

Well up and until about 5 monthes ago I always got colds and the flu along with my fibro and CFDS. However since I've started back again with my antiyeast program and so forth I'm on oregano oil, caprylic acid and sometimes olive leaf extract along with my probiotics and vitamins. Its my understanding these supplements are very powerful against not only yeast but also bacterias and viruses. I tend to think they are helping to boost my immune system overall to combat many other illnesses from developing. So I'm going to continue these supplements probably foreever just to be on the safe side.
  12. romalaw

romalaw Member

bumpng up for recent discussion
  13. munch1958

munch1958 Member

About 26 years ago, when I first got CF, I had about 6-8 colds per year and the flu every time the bug went around. Seemed like I was always sick. Most of the time it was an annual bout of bronchitis or walking pneumonia lasting 4 months.

I haven't had a cold in over 5 years. Last year everyone in my family had the stomach flu. I was busy making meat loaf and mashed potatoes. I was angry no one else wanted to eat. They were too busy vomiting.

I felt no different with the flu then I do on a daily basis. Everyone else was on the floor and I was the only one still standing. That was one of those moments that led me to try something drastic like the FFC.
  14. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi terrilynnb

not real sure what that means, but i also NEVER get sick, til last week when i had my grandbaby hacking flu virus in my face 24/7 for 2 days, and then i had one sick day, w/fever 102 and NASTY sore throat, then i was fine, and i didn't even feel sick w/ the high fever. first illness in years! (told hubby-my body always feels "flu like")

my family was laid out with this bug, both kids got viral cold sores (expos. to coxsacki(SP?) as kids) with minimal exposure to the baby, and hubby missed 2 days of work, really sick.

strange thing about my immune system--i had to have my thymus gland removed in 2003 due to being EXTREMELY enlarged (should shrivel up to nothing in adult) and generally only enlarges in adult with an autoimmune disorder, and since that was removed, i stopped getting the frequest low grade temps i always got, and haven't had any illnesses since.

this thymic hyperplasia is my "objective proof" against LTD that this whole fibro/cfs thing is physical and not mental, but i wonder how many others also have this? (picked up incidentally while having other tests)
    stay healthy--L