Never going to help my hubby again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Jun 1, 2008.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I was helping my hubby put the swamp cooler in the window on Sat.
    The cord was in the way so I reached to grab it as my hubby sat the heavy swamp cooler on my left hand, I screamed at him to lift it up and he could not understand what I was saying. It took a few moments to get my hand out from under the darn swamp cooler. I had really deeep indentations in my hand for several hours and the pain was terriable.
    I iced it like I was told to do you know 20 min on & 20 min off. By 8 pm I hurt so much that I went to the ER to see if I had broken any thing. I could move my fingers and bend my wrist.But I had shattered my left wrist 4 yrs ago that day.

It was a really bad break and needed major surgery to fix it. I hoped that I had not done any thing to pop the screws or bend the plate. Thankfully I didn't break any thing .

The ER room I was in had a lousy BP machine. It kept pumping up till my hand went blue and numb and I was bawling in pain. Needless to say that my B/P was high that night and my o2 was low. I was on 02 for about 15 minutes and then had a recheck and was taken off the 02. I got the feeling that the "Tech" that did this had made some mistakes as the doctor and nurse were not happy to find my on 02 when they came in the room.

I was given a brace to put on my hand and wrist but the top of the brace hit right on the bruised spot on my hand so I used one of my own. My hand is still swollen and tender to the touch. Even putting lotion on my hand hurts some thing fierce. I am hurting right now. I did n't sleep last night and I am not sleeping very much now. My hand itches and burns and throbs so much that I think I am going nuts.

Since I drove my self to the ER I did not get any pain meds so I took one of my own when I finally got home but even it did not ease the pain. But I am not going to ask for any thing stronger as I am on the strong stuff now.
    Well the typing is hurting my hand so I am going to try and ice it for a wwhile and then go to bed. Hopefully I will sleep soon.
    I can't belive that I did some thing so dumb as to put my hand under the swampcooler. the things I do
  2. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

YOu seem to have a gift about you . I can tell you any thing and you have a way of makeing me feel better. Thanks for your support and your caring.
    I will write later on as I have a doctors appointment at noon { Mom does really}
    LOts of ~HUGS~

3. vmiller

vmiller New Member

Owie is an understatement. I pray you feel better very soon. ((((Hugs))))
  4. AnnieLeu

AnnieLeu New Member

you can get some relief soon. I find that my body is sensitive that way. This morning I caught my finger in something and it hurt like the dickens! I just hate this oversensitivity!
    Take care.
  5. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

As I sit and type my hand throbs something terrible. I put some lotion on my hands today and as rubbed it in I felt lumps , bumps, on this left hand I injured. These lumps and bumps are so tender to the touch and they leave my hand throbbing for hours after I have touched them. {So don't touch them right} Washing my hands, putting on lotion, and more causes me so much pain deep in my hand.

After I did this my left wrist started to throbb also and had kept it up for the past few days. I am in constants pain. I can't sleep as my hand hurts deeply and if I leave the brace on my hand swells up or my fingers swell up too.

I don't know what to do about this situation. Do I go see my ortho only to find out that I have bruised the bones, mucsles, tendons and skin. I as I can move my fingers and move my wrist I don't feel like I did when I shattered my wrist and could not move it at all.

But some thing is not right now and I am getting worried about it. I am scared that when the swamp cooler squeezed hard on my hand that it could have done some damage to the wrist I shattered some four years ago. I am so worried. I don't know what to do.
    I am so sick of putting ice on my hand and it is over the time limit of 36 hours. All I know is i am in more pain than ever before and don't understand why or what to do to ease it.
    Sorry for the tears and complaining.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You might want to have it checked.

When I broke my arm and wrist, it kept hurting. It turned out that the first setting(?) which required surgery had slipped.

Unfortunately, when I went back he told me to look at something in the room and the next minute I was screaming. He reset the wrist. I could have slapped him.

However, it did feel better so maybe a love/hate relationship would be a better way to put it.

BTW, what is a swamp cooler?

Take care and take it easy. My broken arm and wrist is what started my FM/CFS.

7. KarrinneSleepyhead

KarrinneSleepyhead New Member

...if it is hurting as bad or worse than the day it happened I would go get checked. And be sure they x-ray it -- I can't imagine that they didn't do it when you went to the ER.
  8. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

It is some what like a air conditioner A swamp cooler is different from a air conditioner as it is cooled by water and has a fan that blows the water thru a filter there fore cooling the air. A air conditioiner has a cooling unit with freeon{SP} that cools the air.

It was heavy thing and The cord was looked like it had slipped under neith the bottom of the cooler. SO I tried to get it and move it out of the way . ONly My hand got in the way as my hubby set it down in the window.
    Hope that explains what a swamp cooler is.