NEVER under-estimate the power of this disease!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PepperGirl52, Nov 4, 2005.

1. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I had an MRI yesterday. As most of you know, it really isn't a big deal, compared to other tests, anyway.

I mean, other than the contrast IV I had to have, there wasn't anything invasive about it. I was wrapped up nice and warm before going into the tube. The people involved were all very sweet and kind to me, etc.

But, after lying there for 45 minutes, as still as possible, I could hardly walk when they took me out of the tube. Of course, that is because my spine is deteriorating.

BUT, the kicker is, this whole ordeal put me into an incredible FLARE from HELLO!!!

I went home and went right to bed and slept almost 4 hours, woke up in awful pain. Took more pain meds. Just laid around the house the rest of the afternoon/evening, and went back to bed at 8:30, still in terrible pain!!

I know that, in my case, the fibro is more related to the trauma that my spine has gone through. But now I REALLY know that any time my spine gets tweeked in any way, the fibro will be right there, raring its ugly head!!! How I hate this! PG
  2. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Hey peppergirl, I'm so sorry to hear how the MRI made you flare! But your post really struck a chord with me, regarding the spine and how it is that anytime it is put into a poor position the whole fibro flu comes on and in such a huge way!

I am having a spell in which I go to church on Sunday mornings feeling fairly well. After sitting for an hour and a half I come home and spend the afternoon on a heating pad just trying to get enough relief to go back on Sunday evenings and come Monday, I am in total agony and completly non-functional. They pews are padded to protect the bottoms, I just wish they were padded up the back as well.

I am trying to find some reasoning for why the spine and any changes to it cause the flare and I am thinking of the overabundance of substance P. But really, our spines are such a central and core part of our well being that I suppose they can really control any and everything.

I am rambling here and I apologize. I really hope you are feeling better today and are in less pain and feeling much, much better!
  3. acesk

acesk New Member

I've seen people take pillows for the back of the pews to synagogue to sit for long periods. Just take a pillow with you!

Sue in Florida
  4. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I play keyboards, on the platform at church. Someone was kind enough to buy me a memory-foam pillow to support my back!

I use that, and I also take another pillow to support my back during the service. I totally understand-it can be a real killer!!

I am one of the people who developed fibro as the result of trauma-from a cervical (neck) surgery. Therefore, at least 90% of my flares come from my spine and any amount of trauma to it causes everything to go crazy!!

We have to baby ourselves and do what we can to stay comfortable!! Take care. PG
  5. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Well, this has been suggested to me by so many people. Thing is, I just hate calling attention to myself. So maybe I could just keep it there, in one of the SS rooms. Well, I'd still have to drag it out...guess I could sit in the back.

Oh, I just had a thought. I love to embroider, especially satin stitching, so maybe I could put something on the case/cover, like a cross and a couple of doves. Hmmm, I really would love to have that extra support. I have tried sticking a hymn book back there but it just is not the same!
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I went through the same thing to check for a tumor in the brain. I did not have any sedation and had to be in the MRI for 45 minutes. I also had the contrast IV.

Ended up nothing, but luckily for me, at the time I didn't have FMS badly. I was just a nervous wreck from it is all.

Hope you will feel better. Now I'm the one who needs to go to sleep.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

PG -

I know exactly what you mean. I've had MRI's done both with and without the contrast and have always gotten monster flares from them. How awful for you! I certainly hope you're beginning to recover.

Love & blessings
    mar
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

So sorry, peppergirl, that you're feeling so bad after your test. I know how it is laying on those tables to have MRIs, etc., for such a long time.

I hate going through those, too. After I lay there so long, I can't hardly get up, and then you hurt like heck for days.

I also have a lot of trouble in my spine--so I can relate to all the trauma--any bump or anyting to your back!

Hope you start feeling better soon,
    Janet
  9. lease79

lease79 New Member

I had an MRI done back about 3 years ago... Maybe 4, heck it could be 5??
    Anyways it was back when I was still capable of doing a few things. They put me in, I copped, which surprised me.
    But when they took me out, I had tensed up so bad that I couldn't actually stand on my feet, I was dizzy as heck & nearly sick, they had to lay me back down again.
    I would have been about 21 at the time, so I imagine it would have looked interesting to the packed waiting room to see me walk in & then see my husband have to almost have to carry me out.
    I bet they all wondered what they'd done to me!!
  10. acesk

acesk New Member

Peppergirl, Great idea to make a pretty pillow that also holds something else. Everyone else will be jealous that you have it, instead of looking at you and wondering!!! Besides, we cannot worry about what others' think!

Sue in Florida
  11. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

Peppergirl, I hope that you're feeling better! I have only had one MRI but I competely went into a panic attack. I could understand that having to be still so long would create more problems for you. I am still trying to figure out what causes my flare ups. There's no pattern for me. I have been dealing with fibro for a year, and I can't figure this disorder out for the life of me. I hope you don't have to go thru more MRIs but if you do maybe trying taking the pain meds before you go for your appointment. Good luck and feel better!

[ advertisement ]