New and Confused!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by starpoi, Aug 26, 2005.

1. starpoi

starpoi New Member

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia this week (although i thought it was for a long time, I have been unable to work since November last year)

I am having a hard enough time coping with the pain and stiffness but its the brain fog that is really getting me down.

I cannot concentrate, i have no short term memory and i rarely even know what day it is. I am so confused. Nothing makes sense. I forget to do everything (including eating!). Noone seems to understand and when i try and explain they just look at me wierdly. I have had to write down that i have posted this just so i remember to check for replies. I can guarentee that I will not remember posting this if i don't leave myself reminders. I have to set alarms to take my medication and if i put off taking it for even a minute or two, i forget about it. I'm only 22 and my 88yo grandma is more alert than me!

I really would like some advice. I really don't know how to cope with this. I'm trying to write everything down but some days i can't even hold a pen.

Many thanks in advance
  2. Pen-hen

Pen-hen New Member

You don't say what you are taking, and I feel for you. But you need to let your body rest, sleep, do things in moderation. Read the other post on here, you well learn alot, alot of helpful information on here. And welcome here, real nice place to be. I don't really say a whole lot, just do alot of reading, and get information.

Take care,
    Norma
  3. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time. I'm fairly new to this group (and fm diagnosis) and have found such a wealth of information on this message board. The people who post here are a kind and caring crowd and they have been where you are now--at least some of them. It breaks my heart to hear you are so sick at 22. I'm 52 and it's hard enough.

I think there is a button you can click on to be notified by email when anyone replies to your post. Now here's a surprise--I used it yesterday and don't remember where it is!

So, come here often to learn, keep in touch with the world and sometimes laugh out loud. Take care!

Francie
  4. Denamay

Denamay New Member

You are bound to be confused!

After many years of dealing with fibro, I am still often confused.

There are so many supplements, vitamins and meds. available to try and that in it's self is confusing.

I took a good look at the many experiments that I have tried over the years.

I realized that my best relief came from : my heating pad, my recliner chair, a good matress and pillow and a hot bath with apple cider vinegar and epson salts.

The brain fog comes and goes and I still don't have an answer for that one.

I don't know if it really helps me, but every morning I work on the morning paper crossword puzle.

Then I put it aside and pick it up again in the evening.

Often, I can fill in the missed spaces that I left blank in the morning.

That is my brain exercise.

Sometimes I also forget if I have eaten.

Those are the times that I will eat two lunches.

Very good for the waist line, ha, ha,

Love Denamay
  5. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

I used to forget to take my medicine too. What works for me now is to put everything in a pill box so I have tangible evidence that I forgot to take something.
  6. starpoi

starpoi New Member

Thank you for your quick replies everyone
    I think just joining this board and knowing that i'm not alone is going to be a great help! I've been alone with this for ages and just to know that i'm not imagining it all and being silly about it has made me feel less frustration and desperation about it all.

I'm on 75mg of Amytriptline to help with the depression and to help me sleep. Nothing else seems to help in anyway

I find that sleep does nothing for me. I have frantic nightmares and really vivid dreams and i wake up exhausted. I'm sure this isn't helping with the brain fog. I would do anything for one nights decent sleep!!

Thanks again for all your replies and advice!
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

So sorry you are ill, and so young to have to deal with these illnesses.

What did help a great deal with my short term memory, is drinking water and taking 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt. I know it sounds too simple to help, but if you are dehydrated like I was, it will make a world of differnce. Stay away from sodas they cause dehydration.........

Heres what I do; I drink half my body weight in ounces of plain water a day, and I take 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt throughout the day. Do not put the salt in the water, I just put it on the back of my tongue and let it melt.

For the pain and stiffness, I take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate), one capsule in the morning before breakfast, and one capsule before lunch, both with a full glass of plain water.

At night, I take ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6), which has stopped Restless Leg Syndrome, the FM spasms/pain, the cognitive problems, and it helps me to sleep. Also with a glass of water!

Both these supplements are sold here at Pro Health, just go to the 'Store' link at the top of this page, and you can read more about both of them.

Most of us are deficient in magnesium, which is the mineral that heals our muscles while we sleep, good reason the FM pain is so bad at night.

I have just started taking a sublingual liquid B-Complex about two weeks ago. It is helping a great deal with energy and my memory too.

Try using a heating pad for the pain, or rice socks, fill a mans tube sock three quarters full of raw rice, warm it in the microwave (for about 2 minutes, or check and see how long it will take your oven to warm it), its great for pain that you can't get too with a regular heating pad.

One of our worst problems is stress, if you are always stressed out, then the pain will be intensified, and the 'confusion', or memory loss will be worst.

So if at all possible, try to stay calm. Do not let what others think about you or your illness worry you. I can hear in you post that is exactly what you are doing.

Keep focused on yourself, and what you can do, not what you can't do or what others think.

I hope this helped a little. Let us know how you are doing.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2005]
  8. starpoi

starpoi New Member

Thank you so much for the advice.
    I am willing to try anything right now so hopefully at least some of the suggestions will help.

I'm finding it really difficult to explain brain fog to my friends and family.
    I keep messing things up or annoying people even though i don't mean to because my brain is such a mess. People get angry at me because i forget or don't understand and i don't know how to explain to them.
    I'm feeling really hopeless right now and i know thats not helping a lot of my symtoms but i'm finding it really difficult to snap out of it.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I believe there are two things which occur with our illnesses. Fibro Fog feels like walking though mental pea soup. On top of that, there are cognitive problems with memory and concentration.

If one can get rid of the Fog, it helps a lot. I have been reversing the symptoms of FMS with the Guai treatment. It's a long-term treatment which requires patience and commitment, but I, and several othres, found that the Fog almost immediately cleared up when starting the Guai treatment.

Go to www.guaidoc.com to find out a bit more about the Guai Protocol. If you decide to do this, you will need to get the book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia." It is an excellent book whether you decide to do the treatment or not.

When one has Fog and cognitive problems, it can take a bit of reading and rereading the book. I read some parts through three times before I started the treatment.

The Guai is sold here in several forms. I use the least expensive fast acting Guai and it works better for me than the more expensive types. We are all different in this regard.

I know this is a lot to take in right now, but you will find that the more you learn about FMS and more proactive you are in your treatment, the more progress you will make. It is far from hopeless. Many have gotten better. Good luck to you.

BTW, this board is an excellent place to learn about FMS. The library here is excellent and our members are informed and generous with their support and info.

Love, Mikie
  10. Meekah

Meekah New Member

It really doesn't seem fair. I'm so sorry you're going through such a hard time. You will find comfort in knowing that we really DO understand what you are going through.

When I first found this site I was soooo down and felt sooo alone. I have a wonderful family and great friends but none of them understood what I was going through and I felt it was no senses in even trying to explain. But, here, people really do understand.

THe poeple on this board are always here to cheer us up or to cheer us on.They are there for the good as well as the bad. It is like having an extended family with all it's members knowing exactly what we are going through. It's a place we can call "HOME". And I'm really glad you are a part of the "family"

Hugs and Prayers
    Meekah