New and looking for any wisdom you may have for me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrafirst, Oct 31, 2005.

1. mrafirst

mrafirst New Member

Hello,
    I am new here. I have had pain/problems since falling onto a cement floor on my back/tailbone area about 3 years ago. I've had pain in my left lower back since then and it has spread to other areas of my body which include my left and right knees, my chest (rib cage) for a while, my fingers, etc. I have been under treatment by a rheumatologist for most of this time and have tried all the NSAIDS (advil, celebrex, etc.) and now am on Ultracet and Norco for pain. I have also been given Skelaxin and Xanaflex as muscle relaxants to use as needed. I've been to physical therapy (when this first began) and I've also been to a pain management doc and had an ESI. So much for my background.

About 3 weeks ago, my rheumatologist suggested that I might have fibro. I had a battery of blood and urine tests and was told that the results were all normal. They even x-rayed my chest to make sure that no bones were broken. This is all good news. However, my pain is at a level where I'm taking the maximum of my meds and only sometimes is it helping. The doc told me to up my Effexor (for a gyn problem unrelated) and it might help. Instead, after a few days I became weepy and depressed. So went back to former dose. Now I'm trying a 2 week burst of Prednisone and feel pretty awful (sick to stomach, too hot, red face). The pain is keeping me from getting enough sleep. Yargh!!

Here are my alternatives. I called the rheumatologist to let them know nothing was really working. I have an appt in a distant city for a second opinion on Dec. 7. I have also seen a pain management doc (anesthesiologist) for my shots and some other recommendations. Do I get in touch with the pain doc, see what the rheumatologist says, or just wait for the second opinion?

I'm sorry this is so long, but I just feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks for "listening"!
    Mary Rose
  2. over50

over50 New Member

Hi Mary Rose,
    I put 'bump'on the title so it will keep your question closer to the beginning.
    I am sorry for all the stuff you are going through,but,I am not sure what would be best for you to do.
    Hopefully someone else will read youre msg,and have been through somthing similar and can give you some advice.
    In the meantime,I will be praying for you.
    Welcome to our board too !
    Linda
  3. mrafirst

mrafirst New Member

Hi,
    Yes, between when I posted and now, the rheumatologist's nurse phoned and basically said the doc was "out of ideas" and I should seek a second opinion. Thought that was what might happen. I feel pretty sad, but then again, count my blessings that up to now I can still work full time. Planning to retire in June 2006. Hope I can make it until then.
    Mary Rose
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Well you asked for advice! My best advice is Find a Dr who will look for the causes of your symptoms and treat those not just treat the symptoms. Where do you live??? Maybe someone here has a good Dr to reccomend.

Welcome to the board and learn as much as you can! Ask any thing we are here for you. Lynn
  5. mrafirst

mrafirst New Member

I appreciate the advice, and feel happy I've already made that 2nd opinion appointment. Just wish I could get in there a little sooner than 5 weeks from now. In reading your bio, I notice that you had to seek opinions from many different types of doctors before you were diagnosed. This gives me some hope. For a while there, I was thinking maybe NO ONE could help me.

I live in Northern Illinois, and will be seeking a second opinion from a doc. at Univ of Wisconsin in Madison, which is about 1.5 hr drive from here.

It's good to know I'm not the only one that has had to go to more than one doctor to find some help.

BTW, you have such a cute picture on your profile. I have a 19 year old son, too. I also have a DD who is 11.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Mary Rose
  6. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

You may want to consider looking into treatmetns that seem to be working for those here and print out the articles and take them to your new Dr and just ask what he thinks about finding the root cause of your symptoms. You will know if he is open minded about treatments. Try searching some of Mikie's posts too. You have 5 weeks so you might as well research and arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible

Or you could just ask your 19 year old. If he is like mine he knows everything! Ha Ha! Glad you're here! Lynn
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

Wish I had good advice,.. but, I was gonna suggest either your pain dr. or Rheumy. Thinking that maybe either one could at least give you something stronger untill you get your second opinion.
    I went thru I believe 5 drs. before I finally knew what was wrong with me. I had Fibro suggested in the early days but then 2 other drs. said no. (that it was'nt fibro) I went to a nearby city for my DX.
    I have gyno issues along with all this too.
    I'm suppose to have a hysterectomy for Endo but I cancelled the operation. (for a second opinion)
    I sure relate to alot of your pain complaints.
    My ribs ache so bad at times too. They call that costochondritis,and it goes along with FM sometimes.
    as does bowel troubles.

I just want to add one thing that really does help me.
    For the really bad all over body ahes, I take a hot bath and add 2 cups of epsom salts to the water.
    Then I'll take my meds,..and rest for the night.
    It really helps your body relax~
    Also,... My heating pad is always around.
    I've heard that Norco is a pretty good med. ???
    I take Ultram. Many members here do too. Its helps alot of them. (tho not me)
    I hope you find some answers soon. and get the relief you so deserve :)
    Nice meeting you.
    Hugs/Blessings
    Tandy
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I went through a whole bunch of tests before I was finally diagnosed with fibro.I think that you should see the rheumotoligist to confirm the firo.He might be your best bet for painkillers.If he isn't get yourself a primary who believes in fibro,someone who can work with you for pain management.Good luck and I hope you find pain relief soon.Linda
  9. mrafirst

mrafirst New Member

Hi everyone,
    Well, I'm just overwhelmed by all of your helpful replies. I am going to pursue many of them (epsom salt baths, researching, which comes naturally to me, being a librarian, and seeing a pain doc.) You guys are great...even had a name for that funny pain in my ribs, which fortunately now has gone away--maybe that's what the pred did?!? I have an appt. with my PM doc on 11/18 for a facet joint injection. I have had an ESI in the past and gotten good results from it, so perhaps this will help me.

Just hearing all of your experiences has really helped me calm down. When I couldn't get the pain under control I was starting to feel really panicky. Now that I'm calmer, the pain is coming (very slowly) back to what is sort of "normal" for me.

BTW, mysticbrit, I live in Rockford, IL. Is that close to you? Just wondering.

Mary Rose