New and need help

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by scarlett1958, May 25, 2010.

1. scarlett1958

scarlett1958 New Member

A few years ago I started having to have suppositories to get me going in the morning....a few-3-4 to get complete relief. then a year and a half ago I did not need them to get going just to to finish. I would have 3 or so bms each morning the first hour and need one suppositirie to get the last little bit out or I would feel like I need a bm all day with bloating and feeling uncomfortable all day. I have had hemroids for years and ended up have a hemroidectomy last july, things went well and i started having 2-3 bms each morning without suppositories and most days felt complete reklef, I was so happy, then in march I started having to use one suppositorie on most days to get the last bit out or i would feel so uncomfortable and crampy and bloated all day. I am depressed from this...is this ibs, the dr's says yes. Is there a way to have complete bms' w/o suppositories. I have a high fiber diet. 2-3 gallons of water, metamjucil, miralax, and prune juice each day. I eat no meat or cheese or dairy, just oatmeal, high fiber cereal, fresh fruit, beans and potatoes and fish. I am afraid that my hemroids will come back and no one wants to repeat tha surgery. In fact the last suppositorie only brings out the last bit but the suppositirie stays in sometimes which means i have to use my finger to help in out. sorry for being so graphic just need help
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Have you seen a gastroenterologist to rule out conditions beyond your hemorrhoids that are contributing to your problem? Is it possible that you have a re-occurrence of hemorrhoids higher up from the original site?

Beyond gut problems, other issues can contribute -- neurological problems, diabetes, endocrine disorders. Have you had a thorough workup recently?

Are you taking meds that are constipating? Some antidepressants, pain meds, antacid/GERD meds can reduce intestinal peristalsis. If meds are a factor, you might ask your doc to sub a med w/out constipating side effects.

Are you able to get a little regular exercise each day, go for a walk or something like that? It helps.

Have you tried adding a good probiotic to your regimen. If you are dairy-free, there are alternative yogurts (rice, soy, coconut) or supplements (chewbles/powders/tablets/caps).

Bile insufficiency can cause severe constipation. Bile is released more so when we eat fat -- I notice that your diet seems very low fat. Have you tried increasing the fat content of your diet a bit?

During my decades with IBS (now resolved), the most helpful laxative for me was an old-fashioned one called "bile salts tablets." It might be hard to find, though.

A warm beverage like tea or coffee in the a.m. can help to get things moving.

FWIW, I suffered from severe IBS-C for over 5 decades, but have been symptom-free the past six years since discovering that the root cause for me was gluten intolerance. A trial of gluten-free diet for a couple of months would give you an idea whether or not that is a contributing factor, however GFD is a diet like no other -- no cheating & exceedingly rigorous.

I remember well those years when my life revolved around BMs ... it's wonderful to have that aspect of my life now on "auto-pilot" !

Best wishes.

[This Message was Edited on 05/26/2010]
  3. racer74

racer74 New Member

Dear Scarlett,

I have been severely bloated and looked like in a 5th month pregnant. It was so bad, that I couldn't close any pants and was only comfortable in a loose robe. Then I read on Internet about Probiotics (good bacteria) and I used double of that stuff. After a few weeks, I got rid of the bloating and could wear my jeans even until evening. I still bloat a little bit, towards the evening, but not too bad. Have you ever tried it? Doctors prescribe it too, or over the counter. It does wonder for me and my sister. Try it....

Much luck and let me know if it works for you, too.

Greetings,
    Peggy
  4. racer74

racer74 New Member

Dear Scarlett,

I have been severely bloated and looked like in a 5th month pregnant. It was so bad, that I couldn't close any pants and was only comfortable in a loose robe. Then I read on Internet about Probiotics (good bacteria) and I used double of that stuff. After a few weeks, I got rid of the bloating and could wear my jeans even until evening. I still bloat a little bit, towards the evening, but not too bad. Have you ever tried it? Doctors prescribe it too, or over the counter. It does wonder for me and my sister. Try it....

Much luck and let me know if it works for you, too.

Greetings,
    Peggy