New and open to input re meds-especially effexor or remeron

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by saskberry, Sep 16, 2002.

1. saskberry

saskberry New Member

Hi I am new to this site and chat line in general. Reviewed some of discussion which seemed helpful so here goes. I am 12 years with CFS and concomiitant dpression and anxiety. After several unsuccessful attempts at tratment began 6 years ago with effexor and at same time began Qi Gong. I had advances over time such that able to volunteer and even a very little paid work.Then i seemed to plateau and i never did sleep well and got easily over stimulated so was also using Klonopin daily. 15 months ago went of effexor as tried a nutritional supplement with amino acids (Empower) but graduallly depression came back especially in fall (SAD)
    I tried celexa which stabilized me but I never felt quite as strong as on effexor. 4 weeks ago began trial of serzone because of its great success with my sister for depression and anxiety. not working but actually noticed increase in energy over celexa-but terrible sleep and erratic. I have put in call to my Psychiatrist and await his call back but in interim thinking of what possibilities i can be proactive with him about. Not sure if should go back to effexor-if the previous plateau was my best- or was because I stayed a t low dose 75-112.5 mg or because switched from regular to XR. Also thinking of trying remeron because of sleep problem and anxiety /ocverstimulation with effexor.These 2 seem opposite end of spectrum re stimulation. Have tried most other ADM's
    s except remeron and luvox.Intrigued by people mentioning using both efexor and remeron for sleep at low dose.

any info from others appreciated-knowing how individual it is - saskberry
  2. saskberry

saskberry New Member

Hi I am new to this site and chat line in general. Reviewed some of discussion which seemed helpful so here goes. I am 12 years with CFS and concomiitant dpression and anxiety. After several unsuccessful attempts at tratment began 6 years ago with effexor and at same time began Qi Gong. I had advances over time such that able to volunteer and even a very little paid work.Then i seemed to plateau and i never did sleep well and got easily over stimulated so was also using Klonopin daily. 15 months ago went of effexor as tried a nutritional supplement with amino acids (Empower) but graduallly depression came back especially in fall (SAD)
    I tried celexa which stabilized me but I never felt quite as strong as on effexor. 4 weeks ago began trial of serzone because of its great success with my sister for depression and anxiety. not working but actually noticed increase in energy over celexa-but terrible sleep and erratic. I have put in call to my Psychiatrist and await his call back but in interim thinking of what possibilities i can be proactive with him about. Not sure if should go back to effexor-if the previous plateau was my best- or was because I stayed a t low dose 75-112.5 mg or because switched from regular to XR. Also thinking of trying remeron because of sleep problem and anxiety /ocverstimulation with effexor.These 2 seem opposite end of spectrum re stimulation. Have tried most other ADM's
    s except remeron and luvox.Intrigued by people mentioning using both efexor and remeron for sleep at low dose.

any info from others appreciated-knowing how individual it is - saskberry
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

They certainly had opposite effects on me. I was hyper on Effexor with increased anxiety. Was afraid I might lose my job it was so bad.

Remeron on the other hand was great in helping me sleep. I was on it before I had a CFS dx, but I know now that the reason I wasn't responding to all the different antipressants I was on was because my primary problem was CFS, not depression.

The only problem I had with Remeron was waking up in the mornings, but that was probably related to CFS, also. I finally went off it because I was frequently late for work. I would lie in bed and sleep while the clock radio played for 45 minutes every morning before getting up.

Since I gather you are not currently faced with waking early for a job I would suggest you give it a try. I know it allowed me to sleep and I felt better immediately.

Barbara
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

As you said, all of us can have different reactions to same meds, & I know I've had different side effects in the past yr to otc & prescribed meds, even some suppl. that I always had tolerated well before.

That said, if you haven't already, you can do a search messages on the meds you're talking abt. One of the things I love abt this board is not only the great support, but I can make more informed dec. after weighing pros/cons from other members.

Let us know how you make out with the dr. Is he/she helping you deal w/ the cfids or do you go to a different dr for that? Best wishes to you...take care,,, Michele
  5. selma

selma New Member

I've tried effexorCR. Others yrs. before. We all get depressed because of our DD NOT because of situation.
    Little things/stress can get us down.
    I found like many that when pain got better/with meds./
    I didn't need the stuff. I hope that you are taking care of your pain and taking meds for energy.
    Hope that you get some relief..Love, Selma
  6. nje

nje New Member

I`M CURRENTLY ON 150MG. DAILY OF EFFEXOR.I STARTED ON A LOW DOSE BUT HAD TO KEEP INCREASING TILL I`M NOW STABLE ON IT. ALSO I TAKE A LOW DOSAGE ANTIDEPRESSANT FOR SLEEP, 50MG. DESERYL. I`M A HARD PERSON TO FIND A PILL THAT WILL LET ME SLEEP,BUT DESERYL IS A SLEEP BUSTER,LOL I`M GONE BEDDY BYE WITHIN 5 MINUTES AFTER I TAKE IT,ALSO MY MOM TOOK IT WHILE SHE WAS ALIVE,EXCEPT SHE TOOK THE WHOLE 150MG. OF IT. THAT WAS THE ONLY DRUG THAT SHE COULD SLEEP ON. ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT THEM. HOPE YOU FIND SOME RELIEF SOON. JEAN -PS I HAVE TAKEN ABOUT ALL THE DRUGS THERE IS FOR DEPRESSION AND SLEEP,AND EFFEXOR IS TOPS WITH HELPING COPE WITH DEPRESSION,AND THE DESERYL IS THE BEST FOR SLEEP,HOPE YOU CAN GIVE THEM A SHOT AT IT ANYWAY.
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

and as far as I am concerned it has been a godsend for me. I am one of those people who no matter how tired I am I would lay awake for Hours thinking, worrying, stressing out about anything. With the Effexor I take it about an hour or so before I'm going to go to sleep and I go to bed and next thing I know I'm asleep. I also have a prescription for Ambien, if needed, but hardly ever have to use it anymore. Mine are 5mg and I have no "hangover" affect the next day. Prior to Effexor I had tried Paxil and Elavil and all they did was make me want to sleep during the day. I think what the Effexor has done for me is to just "let things go", not worry about what I can't change and it has also helped me with Obcessive Compulsive Disorder.

Dara
  8. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Just wanted to get my experiences in here..I went on Effexor back in 1997, a within about 2 yrs was switched to the Effexor XR..Compared to most that I have been on, it is the most helpful, with the least amount of side effects..I take 150mg at breakfast and 75mg at lunch time..Most antidepressants make me nutz, but Effexor is one that I tolerate very well..I also take Desyrel (Tranzadone) 50mg at bedtime..I've been taking Desyrel long before the Effexor and it has helped me a great deal..I still get an occassional night when I'm still a little restless, but once I take that Desyrel, usually there is no waking me up..I was told if I ever need to, I can take 100mg of Desyrel, but I try to limit myself to 50mg and it usually does the job..Everyone's body is different..What works for some can cause just the opposite of what the drug should be doing..
    Take Care.......Best Wishes..........Donna