New and tired.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tallulah100, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Tallulah100

Tallulah100 New Member

Hello. I am new.

I have been tired for 4 years, and I have had enough of it now.

I used to be really active, and enjoyed going on 50-mile cycle rides. I worked full time in a physically demanding job (and often much overtime as well), went out in the evenings, cycled to and from work (5 miles each way), walked into town in the mornings when I was not working until the afternoon, was intelligent and quick-witted, wrote poetry, and generally did what I wanted.

Now I go to work, come home, eat dinner if I can be bothered to cook it, and then go to bed. On my day off it's a huge task to hoover the house. I sleep around 10 hours a night, up to 15 if I do not have to go to work the next day. I never go out, and subsequently have no friends.

It all started when I was prescribed Seroxat for depression, which I have had for a number of years. It made me extremely tired, to the extent that I was sleeping for 22 hours a day. I stopped taking it for 2 days, and in the 2nd day I had the energy to attend a Dr's appointment. My Dr said it was impossible that the Seroxat had caused the tiredness and instructed me to start taking it again. I did and I slept all day again, before deciding I definitely had to stop taking it. I immediately felt better than I did whilst taking it, but I feel like I never really recovered from it.

This also coincided with a deeply stressful and upsetting event in my life. I wonder if a combination of the 2 caused this to start.

I've always had a "sensitive" stomach, but in the past 3 years it has become much worse. I get stomach upsets nearly every day, and I alternate between constipation and diarrhoea.

I have also become stupid. My memory has become really poor. I have to write EVERYTHING down. I get in trouble for not doing things at work that I cannot even remember being asked to do. I make silly mistakes. I cannot write poems any more, and that used to provide me with tremendous release for my feelings. My IQ is high (I am a member of Mensa), but I can no longer form a meaningful sentence.

My doctor says I am tired because I do not exercise and don't eat enough fruit and fresh food. But how can I exercise when I can barely get out of the chair to cook a decent meal, let alone go for a run or something? I explained my problem with eating fruit and he said that fruit wouldn't cause that reaction. Half of me thinks he is being ignorant, and the other half tells me he is right and I am fat and lazy after all.

I am really at a loss as to what to do with myself.
  2. Tallulah100

Tallulah100 New Member

. . . that I have autism. This means that sometimes I misunderstand things that people say, and sometimes I come out with some odd comments. I hope that you could gently inform me if I have said something that seems rude so that I can try to put things right, and learn better ways for the future.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to have you join us, and I sure hope you do get some help here.

We have many people from all over the world more or less, and lots of experience with these two illnesses.

You didn't say, but I am assuming you have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and not Fibromyalgia? Both cause fatigue, but the CFS is so much worst than the FM with it.

Again, welcome and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Tallulah100

Tallulah100 New Member

Thank you for welcoming me to the board. You understanding replies have lightened my mood a little, which can only be a good thing at the moment.

It is CFS that I think I have. I am sorry that I didn't make that clear.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones as I am able to work.

Thank you vickiw for that list. It's very helpful. I don't suppose you remember where you got it from?

I was talking about 2 different doctors in my first post. The one who prescribed me Seroxat was a different one to my current one, who is the one who tells me to eat fresh fruit and exercise.

It is difficult for me to find a new doctor, as I live in a small town that has only 2 doctor's surgeries, and you just get assigned to a particular doctor, whichever is taking new patients at the time. It is possible to see a different doctor at the practice, but they tend to be reluctant to do anything long term if you don't see your actual assigned GP. This is the NHS by the way.

I think a private doctor might be more helpful, but I don't have a lot of money. Could only one consultation be helpful?