New and want advice!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by michaele, Sep 4, 2003.

1. michaele

michaele New Member

I have just been on this board for about 24 hrs. Apparently I "found" it last year and forgot about being already registered! fibrofog! Anyway----I was DX 2 yrs. ago. I have so many other ailments that this is the most debilitating icing on the cake. I have diabetes, asthma, carpal tunnel syndrome, osteoarthritis, IBS, sleep apnea, hypothyroidism, panic attacks (severe), depression, severe allergies, gout, kidney disease, acid reflux, etc. etc. I have to keep all my med. hx on the computer now bec. I can't remember it all. I've also had 10 surgeries and am only 39! and 2 bouts with cancer. There----think I got most of it in.

Well, I want you to know that I am so glad I've spent hours reading posts. I have felt so lonely. I live in a rural area and NO ONE here understands this even when I try to explain. tired of explaining anyway. My husband and kids are good and understanding-------his and my families do not comprehend at all. They think I am a hypochondriac esp. since I have "so many" other medical problems. You know, I did not ask for this in life and I am tired of people passing judgment on me. I have learned to kind of "shut up" and not talk about me altogether. Sometimes, though, I dump or vent on someone. I regret that later. I always have vented on husband, but he gets upset bec. he can't "fix" it, so I try not to. Try to journal feelings. Now I can come here and feel better! I have been so encouraged by all that I have read. It is not just me suffering----and I am not alone. Thank you for this wonderful outlet. Please give me advice. I am on Effexor XR, Xanax (was on klonopin, but Dr. changed bec. of sleep apnea(?)), Bextra (good stuff), Ultracet, and Lortab--others, but related to other conditions. I welcome anyone to correspond with me and let me know if they have anything else I do/how they handle adversity/anything!!!

Thanks so much,
    Michaele
  2. NutsInAlabama

NutsInAlabama New Member

I also live in a secluded rural area and do not like to go out "Panic attacks" but I do make it to the store and go with the ole man occasionally but I have to feel safe
    I was DX 4 mo ago and it is really getting tough to deal with it all
    It is so hard to talk with people and this site is far better for me than all but one counselor I have seen I can let it out and say what I feel and really get great ideas on day to day living
    I have FM/CFS,osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, PTSD anxiety depression and self esteem problems MVP(symptomatic) I have syncopal episodes (fainting kinda, just in case) too many allergies to name
    But everyone here tries so hard to help
    I hope you find comfort and some relief
    tc and hugs
    deb
  3. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

Welcome aboard. I too am on Effexor. I also take Gabatril, Lipitor and Klonopin (as needed... this replaced my Xanax). I have problems with panic/anxiety. I'm overweight, too. (5'9", 275 lbs)

I read your litany of problems and two things came to mind. First, I wondered if you've ever seen a chiropractor. So many of your complaints seem to be related to problems that having your spine properly adjusted might diminish or get rid of.

Secondly, I was curious if you'd ever tried Atkins or another low-carb diet. Both these things worked for me. I can't say I'm the best at following Atkins, but I have cut sugar out completely and it's truly allowed me to stop taking anxiety meds altogether!

I'm 36 :(

Glad you've joined us, dear.

--Melissa
  4. patsull

patsull New Member

I certainly sympathize. They say that the Lord does not give you more than you can handle but sometimes you have to wonder. I agree with those people who suggest the Atkins Diet. I have Diabetes, GERD, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I have to tell you than since I have started the Atkins Diet I have little or no GERD symptoms and my blood sugar is normal. I have to check on the cholesterol and blood pressure. Anyway, omitting sugar and carbs from your diet may really help you. It is not a terribly difficult diet because you are allowed fats. It really is very easy to find info on the Atkins Diet on the Internet. Be sure to take vitamins and supplements. I really hope this helps

Pat
  5. michaele

michaele New Member

I appreciate everyone's input so far.........keep it coming! I was especially touched by the first response who has panic attacks. My medications allow me to go out, but I was totally agoraphobic for a period of time. That was rough----esp. with kids! You know, I've never thought about a chiropractor--------sounds worth looking into. I just finished the Atkins diet book! What a coincidence! However, I am waiting on a kidney biopsey and I can't start it until I find out what is going on with the excessive protein leaking out of my urine-----COULD mean lower protein diet! I hope not------I adore meat!!!!! And----the Dr. office is taking a LONG time scheduling that biopsy---I know it won't be a big thing--just want it over with and reason found! Thanks for your input again. I feel so truly "at home" here.
    Love,
    Michaele