new antidepressant, specially "designed" for FM??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sheelanagigs, Dec 15, 2002.

1. sheelanagigs

sheelanagigs New Member

i am really confused. i heard and then read about this new antidepressant that both IS and IS NOT an SSRI, but has been designed, created, whatever especially for those of us with FM. it's supposed to help pain and lift the "fog" and depression???? Milnacipran is the generic name and the brand name is Ipex. It's all over the internet, but it SEEMS that it is still on clinical trials here in the US. ??? BUT i think i understand it is available outside the US...does anyone know anything about this and especially how to get it??? the internet info is not clear. i spent an hour last night trying to find a "source"; alas, no luck.

apparently the company that makes this stuff is focused on treatments for for FM/CFS....

if it's still undergoing trials, then how do we all get to participate??

information, please.

Una
    sheela_na_gigs@sbcglobal.net
  2. sheelanagigs

sheelanagigs New Member

i am really confused. i heard and then read about this new antidepressant that both IS and IS NOT an SSRI, but has been designed, created, whatever especially for those of us with FM. it's supposed to help pain and lift the "fog" and depression???? Milnacipran is the generic name and the brand name is Ipex. It's all over the internet, but it SEEMS that it is still on clinical trials here in the US. ??? BUT i think i understand it is available outside the US...does anyone know anything about this and especially how to get it??? the internet info is not clear. i spent an hour last night trying to find a "source"; alas, no luck.

apparently the company that makes this stuff is focused on treatments for for FM/CFS....

if it's still undergoing trials, then how do we all get to participate??

information, please.

Una
    sheela_na_gigs@sbcglobal.net
  3. AJME

AJME New Member

Hi,

I'm suspecting since the anti-depressant field is so crowded Paxil, Zoloft and others plus patents expiring (ex. Prozac going generic) that the company has to find another
    crowd to market the drug to or they will get lost in the mix.

I'm thinking it doesn't work any better then any SSRI currently on the market. If its doing 2 transmitters then its doing the same thing as Effexor.