New appoint. with chiropractor, what do I ask or expect?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hello everyone,

I have found a chiropractor who happens to be in my health care plan. I get 20 visits per calander year and pay only $10.00 a visit, that's a huge plus.

I have seen a chiropractor about 2 years ago, I think. Very expensive and I could not afford to keep seeing him. With my firo fog and all, I just can't remember the questions I had asked him.

I seen to get more and more nervous every time I see a new doc, even a chiro. I am going because of disk problems, bulging disks in L4, L5, S1. I also have trochanteric bursitis which is the most typical kind involving the hip/buttock bursa.

Do I mention my fibromyalgia? The reason I ask this is because most doctors are afraid to hear this condition, at least that has been my experience so far. But, I'm hoping a chiro will be a little more open minded in helping me, if he can.

The last chiropractor did help a little, but like I said before, I could not afford him.

My friend at work did give me some advice, she said to ask if ultrasound treatments are included in my insurance, because they might not be and I might need to get ultrasound then have to pay for that as an extra, I hope not.

Anything else I should look for that would indicate a good doctor in this particular field? Thank you for listening. Hugs,Chelz.
  2. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

I'm a chiropractor and we are all taught about treating and diagnosing FM in the clinics. Do tell your chiro about your FM because he/she will have to go much "softer" on you when doing the adjustments and muscle work. Tell him all your previous dx, symptoms, x-rays, etc. Most importantly, make sure the Chiro is proficient and comfortable with treating FM. Just ask! take care and happy health.
  3. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

Please do tell your chiro. everything that you have problems with.

My chiro has helped me so much with my fibro,I still have my days though,but I get alot of relief. I'm better than I originally went to him.

It will take time though, so don't exspect it to happen over night. As my chiro said to me--you didn't get this way overnite and you won't feel better overnite!

When I first went to him I saw him 4 out of 5 days,I am now trying once a week.I've been seeing him for 5 months now. I can tell a difference with the pain, from a 10 to a 5. Somedays are better. If I over do it on my good days, I pay for it. That's just the way it is.

Good luck and don't give up on your chiro. I hurt like h*** at first, but I kept going.

Gentle Hugs, Robin
  4. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I forgot to mention, my chiro has a physical therapist in with him, he does pressure point massage. It feels WONDERFUL!!!! He also hooks me up to a machine that's sorta like a tens unit, only bigger and it helps with healing of the muscles. It goes deeper than the tens.And he puts an ice pack on top of that while it's running.I think this has helped alot also.
    The therapist also has me doing gentle stretches 3-4 times a day. Robin
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2008]
  5. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Thank you so much for the professional advice. I will tell this chiro everything, I hope I don't scare him away, LOL.

Now that I think about it, I suppose it wouldn't be in my good interest to not tell him everyting. I have been in so much pain for so long, that I will have to be patient in these treatments, that was good advice.

I did have an MRI which I will bring along to my appointment, the test was taken a few years ago, but at least it is something for him to go by. Again, thank you all. Hugs, Chelz.