new article - CBC web site

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by znewby, Feb 17, 2011.

1. znewby

znewby Member

If you want to comment it is easy to register. just type in a username and password and go ahead. you do not need to wait for an email.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I get angry when I read crap like this. I think it is interesting that the CBC have closed the site to comments when the story was only published today. Makes you wonder if they anticipated the response they would get to this story.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

This story was in the Vancouver Sun this morning. Is it any wonder people like my sister and Dad think that if I would just get out and walk more that I would feel so much better.
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

Like other studies by the Wessely School it is deeply flawed. The way in which the Media reports in the UK were worded understandably made PWME angry, you can read some of them here and the comments published on these websites.

I'm sure many ME patients will now be told they'll recover if they think posititively and exercise. There's been too much emphasis on fatigue instead of the well documented Post Exertional Malaise in ME.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/20/2011]
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

If I could think my way out of this I would have been cured of this long ago.

And I do think positively. I am positive that I am in pain and exhausted!! :>)

6. Jayna

Jayna New Member

not only that they run those BS headlines at the drop of a hat while ignoring XMRV research, but that they closed the comments almost as soon as they put the story up. It denies us a fair chance to fight back with REAL SCIENCE.
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

There are a number of patient organisations who have made the situation worse than it might have otherwise been, the problem is they are seen as representing us. Examples of these organisations are AfME and AYME in the UK and the CAA in the US. That's why there are three online petitions giving us the opportunity to make our feelings about this clear.

Not all studies accepted and published in repected journals are accurate or even scientific.

Dr. Angell writes: "It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of The New England Journal of Medicine."