New article on nutritional strategies for CFS, by Dr. Melvyn Werbach

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by richvank, Jul 21, 2011.

1. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

Dr. Melvyn Werbach has updated his earlier article on nutritional strategies for treating CFS. It can be found here:

You might also be interested in the comments I posted to the first and second parts of this article. I tried to make the point that the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation Cycle Block hypothesis for CFS is able to explain the deficiencies he discusses, and the treatment based on this hypothesis is in pretty good accord with his recommendations, with a few qualifications.

Best regards,

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

So, I'm thinking (oh, oh, that's dangerous :) if defective methylation process is to blame for the lack of certain important minerals and vitamins in PWC, is it not better to treat the source of the problem with the methylation protocol rather than trying to address the vitamin and mineral deficiencies with supps after the fact?

Does the methylation protocol address all these deficiencies or are there some supps, in addition to the ones in the methylation protocol itself, that would benefit us. I'm pretty sure that the Omega 3 oil supps would be beneficial. The methylcobalamin B12 should address the B12 deficiency. Do we need extra magnesium or does the methylation protocol address this without additional supplementation? What about the other deficiencies mentioned in these articles?

I know this is a lot to ask about. I guess the best way for me to understand is if you could suggest any supps, in addition to those in the protocol, that we need to take. I have to take pharmaceutical-grade fish oil pills for the oil glands in my eyelids which are under attack by my Sjogren's. I also take extra vitamin D3 and C because I just feel better.

The methylation protocol is helping me but the Sjogren's really sidetracked my recovery. So much so that I had to resign my part-time job. After the initial onset, I'm starting to do better now. I'm still running a low-grade temp so cannot start the peptide injections. I believe it is the mycoplasma infection which is putting up quite a fight. I'm on Doxycycline and Herxing so, hopefully, I can beat it back into latency.

Thanks for any thoughts you have on additional supps.

Love, Mikie
  3. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Mikie.

I'm sorry that the Sjogren's and the mycoplasma are giving you such a hard time, but I'm glad that you seem to be on an upswing now. I'm glad the methylation protocol is of some help to you.

I agree with you that dealing with the root cause of the deficiencies in ME/CFS, rather than just supplementing to deal with each one, is the best way to go, and that's what the methylation protocol is designed to do.

The protocol does include supplements to address the deficiencies while also dealing with what I believe is their root cause. Whether the dosages of the additional nutritional supplements are high enough in each case is a good question, and I think the answer is probably not. This protocol is an attempt at a simplified, one-size-fits-all treatment, and that involves compromises. I think that in an individual case, if lab testing is feasible (I realize it can be costly) a better job can be done of nailing down severe deficiencies, and supplements can be added to address them. This is the type of thing that is done in the full Yasko treatment program, from which I extracted the simplified treatment (initially with the help of Trina). Many of the people on the full Yasko treatment take a very large number of supplements each day. I think that the additional supplements that would be most beneficial will vary from one person to another. I might mention that Freddd, on the Phoenix Rising forums, has been recommending a somewhat different methylation protocol that uses methylcobalamin, adenosylcobalamin, methylfolate (same as FolaPro), carnitine fumarate, B-complex, and some other vitamins and minerals, and some people are reporting good results with it. Mary (mbofov) who posts here has reported some success with it.

Best regards,

4. Jittle

Jittle Member

Don't know if you have seen my posts of sleep clinic and the trouble I am haviing. Just wanted to say a quick thanks for posting this link: great help

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your thoughts and advice. I add the extra supps, more than mentioned in my post, because I seem to feel better when I take them. Unless a supp is toxic at high doses, I figure it might help and won't hurt.

It was interesting to read about the low-oxygen blood. Years ago, I heard about excess fibrin caused by pathogens. The Heparin injections really helped and now, I take Nattokinase with vitamin E. I watch to ensure I'm not bruising or bleeding.

It was also interesting to read about our illnesses causing symptoms and those symptoms, in turn, contributing to our illnesses. I've always seen our illnesses as vicious cycles and that is why I think it's so important to fight them on as many fronts as needed. Each thing seems to work synergystically with the other things to produce more healing. One thing can make a big difference.

Again, thank you for being so generous with your time and expertise.

Love, Mikie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for thinking about me. My PT job was cashiering at a local chain of supermarkets and I wasn't near the cleaning aisles. That said, however, sometimes someone would bring through some of those nasty Bounce dryer sheets which stink to high heaven. I would throw them in a plastic bag and wrap them up tight whether the customers wanted it that way or not. My neighbor, who obviously isn't allergic to them, puts them under her bed to keep the bugs away. Yikes! But I digress...

I do have sensory overload but it is helped tremendously by the Klonopin. I always had some with me at work in case the lights, noise, smells, etc. started to get to me. One-quarter of a tablet under the tongue always does the trick.

With the onset of the Sjogren's, extreme fatigue hit me like a bolt out of the blue. After being bedridden most of the time eleven years ago, I swore never to work myself to that point again. It's been a year now since I retired and I've spent it trying to get control over the Sjogren's. I had thought I was on easy street and this was like being kicked in the stomach and having to start all over again. It's actually not as bad as starting from ground zero, though. I know more now and have a very good doc and the possibility of the peptide injections.

Again, thank you for thinking of me. You are so right about avoiding toxins and I do. I actually had to tell a neighbor that I'm allergic to her perfume. I shop smaller stores where they don't have so many cleaning supplies. As I mentioned to Rich, it's everything working together. I have some treatments which I consider the legs that hold up my table which I don't think I could do without. The rest of it is small steps and taking really good care of myself. I try to practice balance in my life too. I'm eating much healthier, even at this late stage. I guess it's never too late to start.

Take care and thanks again.

Love, Mikie